Chapter Five

"I WAS WATCHING YOU at dinner," Newt said to Jacob

"I WAS WATCHING YOU at dinner," Newt said to Jacob. That's a strange way to start a sentence.

"Yeah?"

"People like you, don't they, Mr Kowalski?" Newt commented shyly.

I had to agree with that statement. Jacob was very likeable. I'd liked him very much since the moment I met him; he was just a good guy.

"Oh, well, I'm sure people like you too," Jacob said. He seemed taken aback by Newt's comment but only proved it further with his response. He hadn't even accepted the compliment before he had started to try to make Newt feel good too.

"No, not really, I annoy people," Newt stated in a very matter-of-fact manner.

"I don't think you're annoying," I told him, touching his arm on instinct. He seemed to flinch at my touch but didn't shake me off.

"Well, I annoy most people," he laughed a little, smiling down at me. He was so tall.

"Why did you decide to be a baker, Jacob?" I asked him, trying to avoid an awkward silence.

"Well,  uh, because I'm dying in that canning factory. Everyone there's dying. It just crushes the life right out of you. Do you like canned food?" he asked.

"No," Newt and I said in unison. I laughed at him.

"Me neither. That's why I wanted to make pastries, you know. It makes people happy," he said.

He was such a nice guy.

"So did you get your loan?" Newt asked. He clearly hadn't been listening earlier when Queenie announced that neither me nor Jacob had gotten a loan.

"No. I ain't got no collateral. Stayed in the army too long or something, apparently. I dunno," he shrugged sorrowfully.

"You fought in the war?" Newt seemed intrigued.

"Of course I fought in the war, you didn't?" Jacob was shocked at the idea of it.

"I worked mostly with dragons. Ukrainian Ironbellies. Eastern Front." Newt said.

"Dragons? Like...actual fire breathing dragons?" I questioned, stopping dead in my tracks.

"Yup, actual fire breathing dragons. They are real, you know. Why do you think almost every culture in the world has a concept of a dragon?" Newt questioned with a chuckle.

"I never thought about that," I said, looking off into the distance.

Newt suddenly stopped and began closely inspecting the sidewalk as if he was looking for footprints. He followed a trail and walked past a jewellery store before quickly backing up and having a second look.

Behind the glass was the little Niffler that had stolen my necklace. It was standing next to an open jewellery box holding its arm out with necklaces draped over it. It was trying to look like a jewellery stand.