Chapter Three

In the morning, I wake up first. We are in the same position that we fell asleep in. Mike's arms are tightly wound around my waist. I'm still getting used to this. Mike begins to stir as I am looking at him.

            He opens his eyes, "Hey," he says in the sexiest sleepy voice I have ever heard.

            "Hi, how did you sleep?" I ask him. He moves his hands to each side of my face.

            "Oh, like a baby. I needed some rest and holding you made it easy," he leans close as he speaks, I smile at his cheesy response. "I hope I didn't invade your space too much," he says a little insecurely, probably just now remembering how we ended up here this morning.

            "Not at all," I reply, "I had a great night's rest too." This time I break the distance between us. I want him to know what happened last night doesn't make me want him any less. My lips fall onto his with great passion. I saw a whole new side of Mike last night and I actually want to be with him even more now. A man that's not afraid to show his emotions? About damn time. He kisses me back, matching my passion, and his hands move to my neck.

            And my phone starts ringing. I pull away from Mike and he lets out a grunt.

            "Just let it ring," he says and tries to pull me closer to him.

            "As much as I want to Mike, I can't," I reply reaching for my phone on my nightstand. It's my sister calling. Mike is still trying to kiss me when I answer.

            "Hello?" I answer the phone.

            "You need to come home, Katrina," my little sister, Jennifer, says through the phone.

            "What does that mean? What is going on?" I question. Mike sees I am getting upset and he stops trying to kiss me and looks me over.

            "It's John. He's in the hospital, please just come home. I need you," she pleads.

            "Okay, Jen. Let me get some things in order and I will be on the way, okay? I need you to stay strong until I get there, babe. Is mom there? Can I talk to her?" I reply.

            "She is with John right now. I am in the waiting room with everyone else. Please just come," she says.

            "I'm coming. Tell them I'm coming," I reply and hang up the phone.

            "Hey, what's up?" Mike asks me this time.

            "My younger brother- he's in the hospital. I have to go home to Pennsylvania, Mike," I tell him. I can tell I'm about to cry so I start to get up to conceal myself.

            "Okay, let me help you get ready? I'm so sorry. Was that your sister on the phone?" Mike asks me and he moves to pull me close again. I let myself go in his arms, my new favorite place to be.

            Through tears I say, "It was my little sister, Jen, she's only nineteen. They shouldn't have made her be the one to call me. Why did they do that? She's just a kid!" My emotions consume me now. I shake in his arms and cry out for my twenty-five-year-old brother. Mike showed me his vulnerable side last night and he is seeing mine today.

            "Let me drive you, Katrina. Forget work or anything else right now. I want to help you," he says in a soft but assertive tone. He doesn't let go of me, and I'm grateful for it. If he lets go now, my world will collapse.

            "Oh, Mike I couldn't ask you to do that. I'll be okay," I say and wipe the tears from the side of my face.

            "No, I'm going to do it. You start packing and I will call Donna and tell her we won't be in for a few days, okay?" he says. He is way too comfortable with disaster, but his calm response is exactly what I need.

"Thank you," I say and kiss him on the cheek. I don't know what's going to happen with John, but I'm glad Mike will be with me back home.