Masquerade

Disclaimer: Unfortunately, I don't own the Phantom of the Opera. It belongs to Gaston Leroux (original novel) and Andrew Lloyd Webber (musical rendition). Please buy the book or tickets to see the live performance (I know I will one day when I have enough money).

Ch.7: Masquerade

The New Year's masquerade ball was coming up at the Opera Populaire. Everyone was getting ready for the big night. None more so than Christine herself. She was sizing up her gown before someone knocked on her door.

"Come in!" She sang.

Raoul entered.

"Raoul!" She quickly put the dress away. She wanted to surprise him at the ball.

He went up to her and hugged her. "How's my fiancee?"

"Happy." Christine smiled. "And excited for the masquerade ball."

"As am I." Raoul sat her down on the chair while he kneeled. "Christine, I was wondering if this is a good time to talk?"

"Of course, Raoul. Though, what about?"

"...just talk to her about the Phantom. And listen to her. Really listen to her..." Olivier's voice echoed in Raoul's head.

"It's a sensitive subject, so if you're not comfortable talking about it. Let me know, and I'll stop."

Christine nodded. Though she had a feeling she knew what it was going to be.

"Christine, what do you know about the Phantom of the Opera?" Raoul slowly asked.

And she was right. Raoul was here to talk about the Phantom. But should she be honest with him? Actually, why is he even asking her about this in the first place? Ah whatever, she'll just answer.

"I know that he haunts the halls of this opera house. I know that—"

"Christine..." Raoul took her hands in his. "Please be honest with me. Now that we're engaged, we shouldn't hold secrets from each other."

"It's not easy for me to say, Raoul."

"Do you want me to go first then?"

Christine nodded. And Raoul took a deep breath.

"I always thought he was a menace. To the opera house and you. But thanks a good friend, I'm starting to open up my mind. And now? I believe there's more to this mysterious man. And I believe you're the one who can tell me more about him."

That was an answer Christine did not expect. But welcomed with an open heart. Now she feels a lot more comfortable talking about the Phantom.

"Well, Raoul. You're right, I do know more about the Phantom than anyone else here." Christine leans in close. "He was my Angel of Music."

"What?"

"I know, it's crazy. But it's true. He was the one who coached my singing here. The one who worked so hard to put me in the spotlight. And I always admired him for that."

"Is there anything else?"

Christine paused. "I've met him in person. And...oh, Raoul. I don't think I ever met a sorrier person."

Raoul looked down while Christine continued to talk. "He's been through so much. And never experienced kindness. Was never taught compassion."

"And why's that?"

"I can't say." Christine refuses to reveal the Phantom's disfigurement. "But know this. I don't want him hurting other people or be hurt by other people."