thunderstorm

the droplets tapped on my window as thunder rolled into the sky. not like I was sleeping very soon even if I wanted to, I checked my watch as I sat up; 12 am sharp. not like I've got school or anything... I said, groaning as I slipped on my blue slippers; we were at a hotel, haunted hotel. I got up and snuck out into the ballroom where the ladies used to dance with their pretty tutus, long dresses, and crowns like prom queens. I groaned; I don’t even like girly things. Yet, it had to have a ballroom. My dad got a job as a winter caretaker for three months, fun. This isn't like The Shining, more like a horror story that would've been true if I wasn't thrown out into the night when I couldn't come home on time. It snuck into my mind to manage.

my daddy taught me to never sneak out of bed in the depths of the night but I was twenty-one. What could happen? I stumbled quietly through the dimly lit halls, there was something about this place that told me; GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN. but that was just me. I heard rain pour and thunder roar, I looked outside through a window as sleet covered most of it, my dad must've woken up because I heard footsteps, I turned around.

It was just my mother coming to get me back in bed or watch Looney Tunes like it was the last day of me being five. My mother and I walked back to our room. “what awoke you so late, darling?”, my mother's sweet, blissful voice came to me. “the rain kept me from sleeping, Ma.” my weak, hard voice said as my dad was sitting on the couch, he was tired but seemed to be into Looney Tunes ever since he was a kid. I plopped next to him, talked a breath from my inhaler that helped me breathe after being afraid of my dad finding me and hurting me.

I was five when my dad was drunk and broke my arms, I couldn't go to school for weeks. Mom told me to never talk about it but it had to be somewhere. I was messing with my mom, screaming and kicking at her and my dad who just got home from the bar, tugged me hard by both my arms, and somehow, they broke. And, I have asthma to go with. I'm just a normal kid, going to hight school, good at grades, and obsessed with scary movies and Looney Tunes which doesn't go together at all. I began to fall asleep to the sounds of the television speaking; the raindrops turning into hail pounding on our window; and the warmth of my mother’s arms. I didn't expect what was coming next.

not at all.