007 - Essays & Confessions

"We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are."

-Sirius Black

---

"Say, should a dog be eating sweets? I think it might be dangerous," Ivy Miller remarked as a black dog was stuffing his face in food she had brought, not showing any signs of slowing down.

Ivy had made it her routine to come see the animal at least once a day and keep him company. She had been doing so for months now, and didn't plan on stopping anytime soon.

At first, she had thought he was an animagus. However, after a few weeks of him not transforming into a human, she had to face the fact that he was a simple dog. It didn't matter to her though, she still enjoyed his presence.

During the lasts few months, Ivy had also grown closer to the two friends she met on the train.

Luna was a mysterious, yet comfortable being to be with. If she were to describe her with a few words, it would be softness and care, adorned with unwavering strenght.

The girl was unfortunately bullied by fellow Ravenclaws. Ivy wanted to help, she really did, however most of the teasing and "harmless" pranks happened behind both their backs and she couldn't do much. She had already confronted the girl about it, but she had reassured her it wasn't anything important.

"Luna! I'm serious! I know you must feel sad, just talk to me! I'm your friend, aren't I?" Ivy snapped at the poor girl one morning.

"Ivy, really it's nothing," she said, her expression still dreamy, but Ivy noticed the small tears threatening to fall from the girl's eyes.

"I know you're not okay! Look at your eyes, you're almost crying for Merlin's sake!"

Luna smiled. "I'm not crying because I'm sad, I'm just really glad to be your friend, Ivy."

At that, the girl jumped in her friend's arms, hugging her and burying her face in her shoulder. "I'll always be your friend, Luna. I honestly don't deserve you," Ivy cried, the excess of emotions she held for the girl, overflowing.

That day, Ivy swore she would protect the girl with all her might.

As for Neville, she finally had the guts to sit at the Gryffindor table with him, earning herself a few stares and glances.

Neville was warm and shy. Through out the year, Ivy had found out he held an undying love for his toad, Trevor, as well as plants. She really loved to hear him ramble about Herbology.

People often thought the boy belonged in Hufflepuff rather than Gryffindor, but Ivy disagreed. The boy was his own kind of brave. His constant fear and anxiety proved his courage, not the other way around. Snape was the perfect example of that. He was Neville's greatest fear yet the boy still attended every Potions class, as he had been for the past 2 years. He never showed signs of wanting to skip them either. He was braver than anyone she knew. Not because he didn't have any fear, but because he constantly faced them.

"Hey, Neville!" she said one day before sitting at the Gryffindor table.

"Oh! Ivy, hi!" he replied, raising his nose slightly from a book, probably about Herbology, which he returned to once he had acknowledged the girl.