Uno

"And if you do what's told you will make me happy."

When the train pulls into its final destination, I am more than exhausted. Sleeping on a train doesn't do any good for my already poor sleeping habits. I gathered my bags and walked out into the cold station, I was glad that my mother had talked me into wearing my jacket, back home it wasn't nearly as cold as it was here. They didn't call it the 'Windy City' for nothing.

I stepped out of the loading station and anxiety filled my body, I didn't know where to go from here.

My stomach began to grumble, signaling that I should probably get something to eat

My stomach began to grumble, signaling that I should probably get something to eat. I had managed to fit all of my belongings into a backpack and a small carry-on bag. I had saved enough money to survive for a few weeks, when I had attempted to give my Mother the money that I had saved for the past few months she refused.

I walked through the cold streets trying to find somewhere proper to eat. Many of the shops were just beginning to open and I quickly found a little café that had no one inside. It was small and had a Homestyle feel to it that reminded me of the café that I worked at back home.

"Hello, welcome. Please seat yourself." An older lady said from behind a white counter. She was well dressed in a floral top and black sacks, as she stepped away from the counter, I could see a red apron tied to her hips.

I quickly sat myself in a booth setting my things down, I picked up the menu that was situated next to me. Looking through it I could see some things that I could recognize, such as sandwiches and soups. Everything else on the list was completely foreign to me.

"Are you ready sweetheart?" The lady asked coming up to my table, I nodded and closed the menu.

"I'll just take a breakfast platter, please." I said smoothing out my shirt, I felt out of place with my plane white shirt and ill-fitting jeans.

"Anything to drink?" She asked scribbling my order down.

"Water." I said meekly, I didn't want to make eye contact with her.

"Alright, I'll be right out with it." She said walking back towards what I assumed to be the kitchen. 

I looked out the window and observed the empty street, my mother had gotten me a ticket to a city right outside of Chicago, and it was quite beautiful. I was close enough where I wasn't able to be located right away.