Bio Help

The next day, Emily got a text from Daniel asking where she'd like to go to lunch. She decided on a little cafe and they met there at around two.

After they ordered their food, Daniel and Emily talked for a bit. Prentiss told Daniel a little bit about her situation with Sophia. She explained how Sophia's safety was at stake so she had to give her up, and then how JJ ended up adopting her.
"So, wait. JJ is also Sophia's mom?" Daniel wanted to clarify.
"Adoptive mom I guess," Emily stated.
"Right, so does she call JJ 'mom' or..." he trailed off.
"No, but she doesn't really call me that either so," Emily replied with a shrug.
"Are you ever going to get custody of her again?" Daniel wondered.
"I'd like to eventually, but I don't know how that'll all work out. She's really happy with JJ so I wouldn't want to take her away from them," Emily said with a sad smile.
"But she's your baby," Daniel told her as he took another sip of his coffee.
"Who I abandoned. It's up to her honestly. I'll do whatever she wants," Emily explained. Daniel nodded and then asked,
"So how are you doing?"

The two had a nice lunch date and as they wrapped it up, Daniel made sure to ask,
"Could we do this again sometime?"
Emily took a moment to think and said,
"Daniel," slowly with a look on her face.
"Emily, I'm not trying to rush back into things. I just want to get to know you again," he told her with a sweet smile. She stared at him for a moment and then decided on saying,
"Can I think about it?"
Daniel nodded and said,
"Of course," with a smile.
The two parted ways and went back to their normally scheduled lives.

That week was Sophia's biology test and she was dreading it. Sophia called her mother at eleven at night on Monday night and was surprised Emily actually answered.
"Hello?" Prentiss asked.
"Hey, I know its late but can you ask that neurosurgeon friend of yours to help me study?" Sophia asked hopefully.
"Right now?" Emily asked.
"Not now, for tomorrow," Sophia explained.
Emily sighed and said,
"I'll text Daniel and see if he's free."
"Thank you," Sophia said with a smile on her face.
"Soph, why are you even up? It's late for a school night," the brunette said.
"I was trying to study for my test on Friday," Sophia told her truthfully.
"Alright, but you should get some sleep. You can study tomorrow," Emily told her.
"Fine," Sophia sighed.
"Goodnight, I love you," Emily told her.
"Wait, how did your date go?" Sophia asked.
"Goodnight, Sophia," Emily said and hung up her phone, leaving her daughter hanging. Prentiss smiled to herself but then got a text from Sophia that said, I guess I'll just have to ask Daniel when he tutors me. Emily rolled her eyes and then went to sleep.

The next morning, Emily texted Daniel asking for biology help for Sophia and almost instantly he responded and said he could help Sophia after school. He said he'd meet her at he BAU since that's where she went every day after school anyways.

Emily was sitting at her desk talking to JJ when Daniel arrived. He got there before Sophia.
"Look who decided to show up early," JJ said with a smile as she saw Daniel. Emily turned around and then looked back at JJ and sighed. Daniel approached the two and looked around for the child he was supposed to be helping.
"Am I too early? I thought you said she got dropped off here at three," he said to the brunette with a nervous smile.
"She should be here any minute," Emily reassured him.
JJ looked over at the entrance and spotted Sophia walking in. The blonde nodded towards the child and said,
"Speak of the devil."
Both Daniel and Emily turned and watched the girl walk over to them. Sophia gave them a look and asked,
"Why are you all staring at me?"
JJ gave her a smile and said,
"Because you're just so darn pretty."
Sophia rolled her eyes and then looked towards Daniel and said,
"You ready?"
He nodded his head and replied with,
"Yes ma'am."
"Emily, did you book us a conference room?" Sophia asked and finally looked towards her mother.
"The room we use to brief cases is open," Prentiss told her daughter.
"Thanks," Sophia said and started making her way up the ramp.
She turned around when she realized Daniel wasn't following her.
"You coming?" she asked with a small smile. Daniel smiled and then looked to Emily who said,
"Have fun."
He nodded and then turned and followed Sophia.

When they got to the room, Sophia sat down and Daniel took the seat next to her. The girl pulled out her textbook and notes and started asking Daniel some questions for clarification. After a while, Daniel asked,
"Would you like me to quiz you?"
Sophia nodded and handed him her notebook. He started asking her questions and soon enough it was five o'clock. They had spent the last two hours studying and Sophia was actually having a good time. So was Daniel. They were interrupted by a knock on the door.
"Hey, fifteen minute's and then we're going," JJ said as she popped her head in.
"Okay," Sophia said and nodded. Then JJ left.
Daniel started to help Sophia pack up and then she casually asked,
"So, how was your date with Emily?"
Right after she asked, she looked down at the papers she was organizing and avoided eye contact. Daniel was taken by surprise at the question and looked at her as he said,
"Good. It was nice spending time with her again."
Sophia nodded and then decided to push it further and asked,
"How long did you two date when we lived in Chicago?"
"About a year, why?" he asked and cocked an eyebrow at the young Prentiss.
"Why did you break up?"
"I was moving back to live with my mother because she got sick. She lives in Maine," Daniel explained.
"Why didn't you try long distance?" Sophia asked. Daniel let out a light laugh and asked back,
"What's with all the questions?"
She bit her lip and then said,
"I was just curious about your relationship with Emily, that's all."
She looked down quickly.
Daniel then asked,
"Why do you call her Emily? She's your mom."
Sophia let out a light laugh and said,
"It's complicated. We have a different mother daughter relationship."
Daniel stayed silent, hoping she'd elaborate.
"Emily hadn't been the most... present mother," Sophia said slowly.
"Sophia, she told me about your situation. How you were adopted by JJ and everything," Daniel told her.
"Everything?" Sophia questioned with a nervous look and Daniel realized there was something bigger going on.
"Well, she told me she had to give you up to protect you and how you made your way to the BAU and joined JJ's family," he told her carefully.
Sophia but her lip and asked,
"Did she tell you about what happened to my dad?"
Daniel shook his head and said,
"All I know is that he died within the last year, right?"
Sophia nodded and said,
"Yeah, he's dead."
"I'm sorry for your loss," Daniel said seriously. Sophia shook her head and forced a smile as she said,
"I barely knew him."
Daniel decided to drop it. He didn't want to push the child into a conversation she was uncomfortable having so he asked,
"When's your test?"
"Thursday," she told him quickly.
"Do you want to help studying again?" Daniel offered.
"That would be great," Sophia told him.
"Same time tomorrow?" Daniel wanted to know. Sophia nodded and said,
"Sounds like a plan."

At the end of their studying session the next day Sophia asked,
"So, are you and Emily going out again?"
"Maybe," he told the girl with a small smile.
"Well, best of luck to you," Sophia told him with a smile.
"Good luck to you too," he said to her.
She gave him a weird look.
"On your test," he clarified.
"Oh, right," she said with a smile once it hit her.
"Will you let me know how you do?" Daniel asked. Suddenly an idea popped in her head.
"I know I said my teacher sucks, and he does, but he's a fast grader. So I should know my grade and maybe get my test back on Friday. Every other Friday I stay with Emily and this week is Emily's week so maybe you could join us for dinner and we can talk about the test," Sophia offered.
Daniel smiled and said,
"Shouldn't we check with your mom?"
"She won't say no," Sophia told him.
Daniel thought for a second and then said,
"As long as it's okay with Emily. I'd love to join you two for dinner."
"I'll ask her tonight and have her text you," Sophia told him.
He nodded and smiled as he said,
"Sounds like a plan."
She packed up her stuff and he reminded her,
"Don't stay up too late studying."
"I know," she replied with a small smile.