19. The Tale of a Baker

Hongjoong started his day off by showing everybody his tattoo. Most of the crew members commented on it with hoots and whistles, Mingi even went and exaggerated about it being so much prettier than his.

All of them immediately begged Seonghwa to put some art on them too, even the young kids coming at him with big and pleading eyes. Seonghwa had jokingly sent them off to make an appointment with Yeosang.

So for the whole day, Hongjoong was strutting around with no shirt and gloating with the new treasure that he loved so much. Yongguk kept rolling his eyes at him with a big grin, and even Kira had chuckled into her hand.

When night fell, Hongjoong asked everybody to come outside to perform one of their plays. Just like usual, they did not want to spend their days brooding. So while Yunho prepared the food, the rest of them went to light up the many lamps on deck, so that even the people who still had work to do could see the play.

Jongho was allowed to narrate, as usual, his vibrant and robust voice carrying over the nightly sea calmly.

"Today's story be about the Pirate King an' 'is most precious treasure! This here script been requested by one o' the captains on this ship, who would like to stay anonymous. It be sponsored by King Midas the Rude," he 'read' from his palm, making the first people erupt into laughter already. Wooyoung was one of them, he was sitting on the stairs leading to the helm within a safe distance of everybody else. His neck and chest were flecked with gold, but his tired smile was still sincere.

"We need a few main actors fer this here! 'ow about 'mmmmm let's see Hongjoong as the Pirate King! An' Seonghwa, ye'll play some weird baker kid, don't be mad, yer character be necessary."

Seonghwa giggled too, moving over with Hongjoong behind their screen so they could collect some accessories for their costumes. They sneaked a few kisses while giggling stupidly in love.

"And then- sink me, Mingi, me matey, where did ye get that pretty patch from?"

Seonghwa peeked around the screen to see Mingi blush a bright red at suddenly becoming the centre of attention. He loved it, but at the same time, it made him so shy that he hid his face in Yunho's shoulder.

"Yunho stitched it fer me..."

"Adorable, I love it! Now, anyways. We need a woman. Kira, will ye sign on, matey?"

The woman agreed easily and also dragged Yongguk into it when he giggled, assuming he was safe. He was not.

"Hojun, me mate, ye'll play a role too, be ready to appear. Now, as fer the mom... Mingi, come through, show off a bit!"

Grand applause followed the man's appearance, Wooyoung clearly being the loudest of them all. Seonghwa just stepped out behind the screen to see San direct his soft dimpled smile at their canary. His eyes said it all.

Yeosang looked none the better, though, their whole crew was lovesick.

Mingi stepped up with a huge grin next to Seonghwa, waiting for further instructions. Seonghwa eyed his black patch, the 'A' that was stitched on it with golden thread. He gave an approving nod that Mingi received beaming.

"Alright, let's begin. Our story starts with the Pirate King. Ruler o' the oceans, an' feared left an' right!"

Hongjoong strutted over the deck in his high heels and threateningly pointed his sword at a few audience members. They all moved back with dramatic gasps, San full-on falling backwards. He sat up shyly again when Wooyoung giggled at his antics. Seonghwa wanted to see those two idiots make up already.

"At the same time, that 'e been terrorizin' the oceans, far, far away on the mainland, near the cliffs, there lived a lad named," Jongho squinted at his empty hand "Mars! 'e been a baker lad, an' 'e lived with 'is baker mom in their baker 'ouse, an' they baked hardtack all day long! Truly exciting!"