15│Winter: 'Meet me in the afterglow.'

Collin 

I laid on my bed, trying to focus on my video game. But I couldn't. I've played through Dark Souls three times, but I still enjoyed it. Just not tonight. 

I checked my smartphone again. It was close to eight o'clock. 

River was probably standing in front of the cinema right now. Alone. Little did she know that neither I or Tyler or anyone else would show up. I straight up lied. 

Why did I do this again? Right, because Mason could ruin me in a second. 

A few days ago, when Tyler had brought River to our table, Mason caught interest in her for whatever reason. And when he caught interest, there is nothing or nobody that can stop him from getting what he wants. So you might as well help him instead. 

I felt weak. Because I couldn't and didn't protect River whos probably one of the most innocent people I know. Thats also the reason, I guessed, why Tyler likes her. 

"Sweetheart, dinner is ready," my mom stood in the door and smiled at me. "Come on, dad is home tonight."

"I'm coming," I sighed and paused the game. As I got up, I felt slightly dizzy. I pushed the feeling aside and went downstairs to the dining room where my mom and dad already sat at the long Mahogany table. 

During dinner, my dad usually questioned me about school. It was important to him that I receive honored grades so I can be a successful lawyer or doctor or whatever in the future. "Son, any important tests coming up?" or "What topics do your classes cover currently?" Today was no expectation. But unlike the other nights when he was home and able to ask me, I couldn't concentrate on giving him pleasant answers. My mind was always drawn back to the cinema and the little, probably sad girl in front of it. The image burned itself into my brain. 

I looked up to the big clock on the wall. Eight twenty. I would just not leave me alone. 

Mason probably arrived already and a new image formed in my head. Due to my observations I knew Mason didn't treat girls with much respect. And usually I didn't think it was my business. But my mind showing me pictures of Mason grabbing River inappropriately was just too much. 

And it kind of was my business since I sold River out. 

"I have to go somewhere." I stood up as I spoke. "I'm sorry. I'll be back soon." 

I rushed out of the room and towards the garage. On my way, I grabbed my car keys and jumped in my Mercedes. It started smoothly and I drove in the direction of the town center. 

I arrived at the cinema and stormed in. I almost tripped over the red carpet laid behind the entrance door. "Holy shit." I continued my not-so-heroic-looking mission and hustled towards the doors which will lead me to the cinema halls. 

"Excuse me, Sir. You need a ticket to get into this area." A young boy, probably younger than me and spots all over his face, got out of his booth and stood in front of me. 

"I don't want to watch the film, I just need to get a girl out of there before something happens," I told him annoyed and tried to get past him. With no luck.

"No can't do. Either you wait or you pay." He probably liked being in the boss position now, since in school it's the other way around.  "Collin, 10 bucks for you." 

"But a ticket costs 6 dollars," I argued looking at the prices above our heads.  

"It does, but for you, 10 bucks. See it as my tiny revenge." A 4-dollar-revenge. Wow, but fuck it. 

I sighed and turned my back on him. I didn't want him to boss me around, but on the other side I needed to get quickly into those halls or my mind would explode of guilt.