part one

she's got that smile and that body is to die for

part one

***

Sometimes, Jennie feels like she's not doing enough. Feels like she's incompetent. Feels like she doesn't deserve to belong amongst the talented trainees of YG, and she's sticking out like a sore thumb.

Maybe she had gotten through auditions by a stroke of luck.

It's no wonder she's had a shitty evaluation three days ago.

Karma must have hit her after she's told her mother off about not wanting to pursue further education in the US. It enraged the woman, but she eventually relented upon realizing her daughter would only wallow in misery, being shipped off into another country.

Again.

And it's not as if her father was pleased about it either. They'd spent a fortune in providing her a high quality education and to have her snubbing at the opportunity of attending a higher quality education took a bit of a toll on him. He didn't show it as visibly as her mother did. Her dad is a passive man, making short comments here and there. Though, he had never vocalized going against her decision. He had simply nodded, asked which entertainment company she was interested in and that was that.

Her parents wanted her to be a successful professional at a respected field one day so Jennie hadn't exactly anticipated for their one-hundred percent support. She was shocked to find her mother fussing over buying her new outfits, dropping by the dorms to deliver homecooked meals, asking for a sample of the raps she had been practicing on. And even her dad would send her texts of encouragement in between his busy schedule and that's as showy as the man gets.

So struggling to keep up at this very moment is a huge slap in the face.

She restarts the music, the fast-paced song reverberating through the solo practice room, and dances to the same routine she's been working on then hastily stops it when her moves don't match to the beat of the song. Shutting her eyes in frustration, she breathes in and out, in and out, until she recomposes herself.

"Um, do you need any help?"

Jennie's eyes trail to the doorway where a boyish looking girl stands in the way. If it isn't for her very feminine but low voice, Jennie would have seriously assumed for her to be a male trainee. She dons a short boy-cut hair and her tall lanky figure is dressed in a loose button down shirt and jeans which were rolled up above the ankles. People have been talking about the new trainee and she hasn't had the chance to meet her until now.

"I can manage." Jennie forms a weak smile, forcing out a mannerly but frank response, "And not to be rude or anything, but you've only been here for a week."

"I've seen the choreography," she tells Jennie, pronouncing her words carefully, her accent hinting that she's only learned Korean recently.

The girl honestly looks lost, her eyes wandering around the room, and it wouldn't be surprising if she had stumbled upon the solo practice room by accident. No one really goes through these halls after six.

Jennie switches to speaking in English, "Thanks, but no. And you're free to speak to me in English. I won't tell." She reassures her, aware of the no English speaking policy trainees have to abide with in conversing with the foreign trainee, and walks to where her duffle bag is to retrieve her phone. She informs Chahee on her whereabouts and how she won't be joining her for dinner tonight, while expecting the foreigner to take her cue to leave.