Steve Rogers X Reader - Pretty Shining People

A/N - This chapter is based on the song 'Pretty Shining People' by George Ezra. The lyrics to this one are really resonating with me at the moment, and the song is just super catchy so i've been listening to it a lot more than usual. It's a little short and is lockdown themed, but I hope you all enjoy it. (For those of you who don't know. I have spent most of lockdown completing puzzles with my mum and have found them super therapeutic. I ended up using that as some of the inspiration for this chapter.)

You felt like you had done nothing but watch the News for almost a week now. You were constantly on edge, waiting for the next update. There was no way that you could spend a couple of hours watching a film. Hell, you couldn't even take 20 minutes to watch a single episode of a show you loved. There was a part of you that felt that the moment you took your eyes off of the replaying feed of headlines you would miss something and the world would fall apart without you even noticing. 

Steve had avoided bringing up the topic for as long as possible. He knew that you had always been someone who could get lost in their own worry, and he didn't want to make you feel uncomfortable by calling you out for it. But soon enough, his own worry had mounted to a point that he had taken a stand. 

You let out a small yelp of frustration when Steve grabbed the remote from the coffee table, switching off the TV with a single click before placing it back in its original home. 

"I was watching that," you murmured, shuffling forward on the sofa and stretching out your arm for the remote, until Steve caught your wrist lightly. 

"I know," he uttered, moving to sit beside you, drawing your hand towards him and keeping you in place. "You've not done anything else for quite some time."

You nodded slightly, biting at the inside of your cheek as you thought of something to say. "It's important."

"It's been the same headline for the last three days."

A sigh escaped you, and Steve watched as you practically sunk in on yourself, your shoulders slumping. "I don't know what else to do," you told him, your voice soft as you glanced up at him. "I feel like I should be doing something."

"There's nothing we can do," he uttered, pulling you into his side and feeling as you released a deep sigh. "This isn't the kind of threat we deal with, Angel. We've gotta sit this one out."

"But-"

"If we go out to try and help, the chances are you could get sick. Or if you don't we could spread it and make it worse. I don't want to risk that when there really isn't any reason for us to go anywhere."

You nodded, sitting silently. "It's a terrible time to be an over thinker," you murmured, leaning into his touch as his hand soothed over your arm, drawing you closer to him.

"I know, Angel." He paused for a moment, shifting on the spot before getting to his feet, releasing you from his grip to move behind the sofa. "I'm sure we could find something to distract ourselves."

You scoffed slightly, your mouth hanging open as you tilted your head backwards to stare at him in surprise. "I'm not exactly in the mood, Steve," you started, causing a snort of laughter to escape him. 

"I didn't mean-" he cut himself off, shaking his head. "I meant Tony sent me a bunch of Captain America branded stuff when we first met. I think there was a couple of puzzles mixed in there somewhere."

A small smile pulled at your lips, and you nodded. "That sounds good." Steve smiled at that, patting your shoulder before heading over to the spare bedroom of your apartment in search of your new distraction.

You had spent much of the next few days sitting on the floor of your living room together. There was music playing in the background, and you took your time putting each piece of the puzzle into it's perfect spot. Steve had been right. It had kept your mind off of the world outside pretty well, and you'd even started to relax as the week stretched on. 

On the fourth day, the buzzer of your front door rang loudly enough to cause you to jump, and Steve hurried to his feet to answer it, leaving you sprawled on the floor, fiddling with a puzzle piece. 

"Who is it?" you called out, stretching out your legs as Steve padded back into the room carrying a large box. 

"I called in a favour from Tony. Apparently Pepper is very into her puzzles and she had a couple she thought we might like." 

You brow furrowed as he placed the box on the sofa, taking his spot on the floor at the opposite side of the almost finished puzzle. "Did he drop them round?"

Steve shook his head. "He sent one of the Iron Legion. Turns out, when there's no one out in the streets they haven't got much use."

You snorted slightly, your eyes focusing on your boyfriend as a smile pulled at your lips. "Thank you," you uttered, your gaze falling back to the puzzle when he looked up at you. 

"You're welcome." You both sat silently for a while, putting the last few pieces of the puzzle into place and enjoying one another's company. Perhaps being under lockdown wouldn't be so bad after all. 

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x