Memories || Epilogue

1988

Lynette "Billie" Ford

There was no happy ending for Michael and me.

We weren't fortunate enough to settle down, marrying each other, and have kids in the end. The last time I saw Michael in person, we hugged backstage like old friends. To be honest, it was suddenly awkward, almost as if we hadn't even met before. I knew so much better than to ask a question and ruin the smile on his face.

Maybe it was because of how we had gone far too long without seeing one another. I'd never felt so weird around him as someone flashed pictures for show. Voices chanted over and over again, pleading to see their musical hero sing and dazzle.

As for parts of my own life, Vanessa of course raised her baby girl alone, still grieving with the passing of David. My heart still shattered thinking back. On the other hand, I was still single and didn't even bother to sing again. There was just no reason to even try anymore. Enough was enough. I wasn't stupid like that.

I'd lost many forms of happiness in so many different ways and had even given up my house in California for good. Mom and Dad were disappointed but understood. I couldn't just stay in a big place like that all alone. I would've lost my damn mind.

Once cameras finally stopped flashing in my face, Michael noticed the heartbroken expression that I tried to keep away from him on such a great night like this. Another sold-out show with millions of screaming fans and press coverage galore.

"Please come here," Michael whispered so softly that I almost couldn't anything he'd said. Opening both arms, he offered the smallest grin. I then prayed his manager Frank in the corner wouldn't yell at me for tearing up here in public.

"Oh my God." My voice now shuddered towards him as we moved closer. My heart welcomed the embrace and I then ended up, sobbing into his arms out of nowhere. My soul needed this. As if the heavens spoke to all of us on Earth, I only heard silence in this crowded backstage area. No whispers from Frank Dileo, either.

"We might not see each other anymore, but I'll always be here for you." Michael pulled away from me, gently wiping my tears with his thumb. Before I could open my mouth to apologize for such a dramatic cry, he then hugged me all over again.

As if frozen in time, we didn't move.

When I finally opened my eyes once more, Michael then kissed the top of my head just before walking away.

I now stood in the wings alone.