First Year ϟ Chapter Fourteen

~↣ ⚯͛ ~

~↣ ⚯͛ ↢~

~↣ ⚯͛ ~

(Y/N)'S P.O.V.

"I don't like this," Hermione says wearily, "I don't like this at all."

"You and me both." I agree. I look around, but it's a bit hard to see things clearly in the dark.

"Where are we? A graveyard?" Harry asks.

"This is no graveyard." Ron says. He steps away from the group and walks ahead. "It's a chessboard."

I walk forward as well, coming to Ron's side. I look around at the large pieces. Suddenly, small fires are lit on the sides of the chessboard and a light is casted down on the checkered pattern. Harry and Hermione walk to stand by us.

"There's the door." Harry says, pointing to a large door on the other side of the room. We all walk towards it, but I have a gut feeling that it won't be that easy. As we're about to pass the white pawn pieces, they pull out their swords and block our path. We all back away startled. They retract their swords and go back to being motionless.

"Now what do we do?" Hermione asks.

"It's obvious, isn't it? We've got to play our way across the room." Ron says. He turns around and faces us, a serious expression on his face. "Alright, Harry, you take the empty bishop square. Hermione, you'll be the queen's side castle. (Y/N), you're the king."

"Oh. The king. The one they want to kill." I say, muttering the last part.

"Don't worry, you won't move much." Ron reassures.

"How about you?" Harry asks Ron. "Which place will you take?"

"As for me," Ron starts, looking bravely to a horse piece with no rider, "I'll be a knight."

We all step onto our respective squares. I look past the pawns nervously and gulp. I look over to Harry nervously. He displays the best smile he can, but we both know how nervous he is.

"What happens now?" Hermione asks Ron cautiously.

"Well, white moves first, and then, we play." Ron replies with determination. One of the white pawns slide forward.

"Ron, you don't suppose that this will be like... well, real wizard's chess, do you?" I ask hesitantly. I fear the answer because I believe I already know it. Ron looks to me, then past my shoulder, pointing to a pawn.