Chapter 1

I heard my pencil fall to the floor, I leaned down and picked it up.

Hi, I'm Jataro Kemuri, and I'm the protagonist of this strange story. I paint pictures for the royals of the United Kingdom, and I always get jealous of their beauty. You see, I wouldn't say I was the most attractive person in the world, in fact, I would say I'm the ugliest you'd ever meet. I even wore a mask at one point to hide my face, but someone said it made them 'uncomfortable' when I had it on, so I wasn't allowed to wear it anymore.

I heard the door open behind me as I turned around. It was Masaru, my friend, or at least that's what I consider him. I don't think he likes me that much, but he fakes it, and that's enough.

"Jataro, guess what!" Masaru yelled as he ran into the room.

"hmm?" I turned my head to the red haired boy.

"The prince!! He-!" Masaru yelled, but before he could finish a blue haired bot, maybe an inch or two taller than me walked in the room.

"Am I interrupting something?" the blue haired boy spoke. His voice was quite soft, softer than I expected.

I could only stare for a moment until I spoke, "N-no sir!"

"O-oh that's right, Is Jataro Kemuri here?" The blue haired boy looked at the floor mid-sentence.

"That's me!" I yelled from the back of the room.

"Wait, does this mean he's here for a portrait. Me? The ugly one, painting a beautiful boy? No, Jataro! Get that out of your head, don't think like that!" I mumbled to myself.

But, is he here for a portrait?