𝘼𝘽𝙎𝘾𝙄𝙎𝙎𝙄𝙊𝙉

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

𝙔𝙊𝙐 𝙆𝙀𝙀𝙋 𝙍𝙐𝙉𝙉𝙄𝙉𝙂

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

(kinda) short and (not really) sweet.

sometimes, that's just life.

for jordan and vess

because i miss the mailbox™ era.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Any other day would have been a better day. Any other day, really.

Maybe it really was just overthinking.

Maybe it was the stress that finally got to him after the countless nights staying up to study and prepare for finals, leaving little time to sleep or eat, let alone relax.

Ever since Finals week rolled around, she'd grown colder, more distant. Rarely did she ever call or text, and whenever she did spend time with him, it was short and always left a bittersweet taste on his lips after she would leave. He always chalked it up to the same examination stress, worrying for her health more than his own and pondering how she was keeping up with her work. She was a bright young woman, a slight bit of overachiever in her bones, and yet, a glint of childish wonder that glimmered every now and then in her eyes whenever the two would get into those youthful adolescent shenanigans. She was the one for him, everyone thought that too. She so perfectly moulded to fit into the second half of him that he needed. It was uncommon to butt heads with her because she shared so many of the same views and perspectives, but she also managed to bring different things to the table whenever in discussing on certain topics, and they were always having progressive discussions. Thier arguments never made its way into heated animosity too, which only meant they were more than well-fitted for each other.

She never failed to deliver a sense of pride and joy for those close to her, never was a let-down.

Who would have thought, huh?

But it couldn't be. This wasn't real. Probably just a dream. She was perfectly made for him, and he was perfectly made for her.

They sat at their usual booth in their favourite diner, just 'round the corner of their dorm. They sat in silence, him looking through his phone for the last bit before they would order, oblivious to the awkwardness and the uncertainty settling in the air, the worry dancing around in her eyes whilst she fidgeted with her fingers, feet tapping on ground, eyes flickering onto everything surrounding them but never landing her eyes on his figure.

The silence was finally broken after he looked up at her, turning his phone off and leaving it on the table by his laced fingers. "Haley, what are we gonna be doing here?"

"I'm sorry, Jack," her face contorted into an expression of pure guilt and anxiousness, presumably going to lend him some bad news. And she never used his name. It was always a petname, or something ridiculous and hilarious and definitely not in a serious tone. "I feel awful, horrible and I just..." she started to speak, but she trailed off as she lost the words to her thoughts. "Jack, I think maybe, we should start seeing other people."

Ouch.

"What? Haley, what's wrong? We can work whatever this is out! What's happening-"