dig until my shovel tells a secret

The wedding reception ends up being quite the party. Scores of elves who haven't left the comfort of their homes since Alden and Dellas wedding nearly half a century ago mill about, trying to become reacquainted with society.

He can't help but keep one eye out for Linh after the ceremony is finished, and he watches as she leaves as soon as she's finished extending her congratulations, he can help but feel like a horrible person.

Keefe Sencen, ever the good pal, is there to distract him though. Fitz wonders, not for the first time, if he truly does have a sixth sense for trouble. It quickly becomes apparent that Keefe had really just been looking for someone to keep him in line, because he takes to the wine like a fish to water. Fitz has to stop him from jumping into a bush, drowning in a puddle, and falling asleep atop a gazebo.

"You are an absolute menace." Fitz sighs, finally wrestling his friend down in a chair a decent ways away from the festivities. From where they're sat Fitz maintains a clear view of the bride and groom, he still can't get over how grown up Biana looks in her dress, even though it's anything simple. It has to be, by far, the sparkliest, frilliest monstrosity he's ever laid eyes on and yet she wears the shimmering with the regal air of a queen. Fitz refuses to let himself be overwhelmed by emotions a 2nd time, or perhaps a 5th? The wedding itself had made him tear up more then once. Any negative thoughts about his predicament, his tiny resentment had been washed away the second Biana had walked into the room.

Dex was such a contrast to his girlfriend- to his wife, now. Where she was extravagant and loud he was subtle. That wasn't to say he didn't clean up very nice, he looked positively distinguished in his classic Elvin wedding suit, almost completely unrecognizable from the boy Fitz had once known. At least until he let that ever familiar impish grin slip loose.

He's torn from his gazing by Keefe choking on water, Fitz didn't even want to wonder where he'd managed to find it.

"It's a good thing you didn't bring a date, I'd hate to see you make such a fool of yourself in front of her." Fitz says with a shake of his head, stealing the glass away from his limp fingers before it falls. Despite their conversation when Dex and Biana announced their wedding, everyone in their friend group had shown up alone, except for Jensi who'd pulled up with a girl Fitz vaguely remembers from Foxfire.

Keefe starts giggling, trying to use his sleeve to mop up the water that spilled onto his tunic

"I do have a date!" Keefe manages, "'e wandered off though." He adds with an attempt at a frown.

"No you don't, you came alone." Fitz asserts, thinking back in case he missed something but he comes up blank.

"Mmm-mmm." Keefe shakes his head with a hum, "Came with Tam, kept it a secret though."

"I'm not sure I understand, buddy." Fitz chuckles, where does Tam come into all of this? Why was he with Keefes date?

"If I tell you, you gotta keep it shhhhhhhhh." Keefe presses his entire hand to Fitz's mouth instead of just one finger. "'T's a secret."

Fitz just raises his eyebrow but Keefe doesn't seem to need prompting.

"Tam's my date. M' boyfriend, isn't that awesome?" Keefe barks out a gleeful laugh, his hand falling from Fitz's face. He's completely oblivious to the shell shocked expression on Fitz's face.

He's certain that he's hallucinating because this can't be real. Keefe and Tam? That's, no. It's impossible. That doesn't happen.

Fitz does a double take as Tam appears beside Keefe, looking thoroughly disgruntled.

"You are honestly a child, you've had 3 glasses." Tam grumbles while hoisting Keefe to his feet.

"Nope." Keefe says, popping the 'p' obnoxiously. "Fitzy gave me more, because he loves me more than you do." He adds, sticking out his tongue in Tams general direction.

Tam rolls his eyes and looks over, surprise etched into his face as if he hadn't noticed Fitz before.

"Oh, hello. I'm just going to drop this idiot off at his house then I'll be back." He explains, both to Keefe and Fitz.

"Aww, you're not gonna stay with me? You know I miss you, baby." Keefe whines, pressing a wet kiss to Tams cheek.

"Talk about a flirty drunk." Tam groans, and he's trying to play it off but Fitz can se it now.

"So it's true-" He stammers, "You and him-" He looks between the two of them. Tam's expression goes steely.

"I don't know what you're talking about." And then they're leaping, faster than Fitz can work out how to react. He's left staring into the trees.

----

"It's finally over." Biana groans as she flops onto the couch, Dex is almost taken out as one of her heels go flying down the hall.

"No, it's just beginning." Dex sighs, once safe from other sparkly projectiles. "Welcome to married life, it's forever."

"Our until the elves realize that same sex couples can exist." Biana counters tiredly.

"You know as well as I do how unlikely that is."

"Ugh, let's not worry about that tonight." Biana waves him off, Dex pushes her legs out of the way so he can sit on the couch as well. She just places them on his lap as soon as he's seated, he doesn't bother with moving them again. "All that matters is that we did it."

"No more worrying about dating or suspicion..." Dex drawls,

"Or dumb guys." Biana adds helpfully.

"I actually happen to like dumb guys." He retorts.

"It's because you are one." She teases, bumping his chest with her ankle. "Dumb girls then."

Dex just laughs. Maybe he'll never be able to live freely in this backwards world, but this right here? Spending forever with his best friend? It's a damn good compromise.