poseidon

The voice of the sea is seductive; never ceasing, whispering, clamoring, murmuring, inviting the soul to wander for a spell in abysses of solitude.

'The Awakening'
[Kate Chopin]

♡ ♡ ♡

9: POSEIDON

When the two boys agreed to meet by Poseidon at eight AM, Lalo forgot to account for the fact that Rory may not know who that is. So, while Lalo waited by the tall stone figure who stood proudly next to the front gate, holding a trident, Rory was with the statue of Apollo, nestled between the lemon trees near the pond. When they finally located each other, they hopped on their bikes and left the comfort of the grounds they called home.

After two hours of cycling down leafy lanes, past sunny meadows of bees and mice, and through shaded woods of babbling brooks and filtered sunshine, they finally reached the coast. They abandoned their bikes in the grass without the fear of losing them to thieves, considering they hadn't encountered another living soul since leaving the house, and then they began their descent down the edge of the cliff. It required a lot of climbing, in addition to scraping their knees on jagged pieces of rock, and gripping onto each other's hands for support. At one point, Lalo almost slipped and practically fell into Rory's arms to avoid falling. They rest of the clumsy trek down to the water involved laughter, alongside concentration.

The reward was worth the scrambling they endured to get there. They were stood in a windy little cove of fluffy sand and salty sea spray as the waves crashed violently against the rocks that sheltered them in their own private paradise. The sun was hiding behind the foggy grey clouds that loomed above them, and the dark mass of water danced in the harsh wind that blew through their hair and into their lungs. It wasn't the sunny beach either of them had been expecting, and yet, the brutality of the nature surrounding them was just as beautiful.

Luckily, they were both wearing sweaters, though Rory still felt it necessary to fling an arm over Lalo's shoulders and pull him into his chest when he saw him shivering. "What do you think?" Rory mumbled into Lalo's ear, tightening his grip around the smaller boy and enjoying the way their bodies fitted perfectly together, like two jigsaw pieces clicking into place.

Lalo had never been to the coast before. He'd spent his entire life in the dry desert of New Mexico. Before he moved to Spain, the only time he'd ever left were on his trips across the border into Mexico, and that was strictly for work purposes. This was everything he thought it would be and so much more. They were secluded in a little cove, at the bottom of a tall cliff where nobody could ever find them. He snuggled into Rory's side, "I think it's amazing."

They settled on a patch of sand and unpacked the picnic they had bought. Fresh berries, cheese and crackers from Josefina's stand, and cookies from Ignacio's bakery. They watched the tall waves roll in, and back out again. It was hypnotic.

When they finished eating, Lalo stood up and extended his hand for Rory, who uncertainly took it. "Let's go for a swim." It was more of a challenge than a suggestion.

Rory rose his brows, "Are you fucking with me? It looks freezing."

"Oh, I'm sorry, would you rather drink tea and eat crumpets back at that posh boarding school of yours?" Lalo teased, and even he had to admit that that sentence didn't sound right with his American accent.

Rory rolled his eyes, then smirked, ripping off his top to reveal the tight muscles and thick biceps that hid beneath. Lalo gulped as he examined Rory's gorgeous body, and though it made him feel self conscious with his skinny arms and thin waist, it didn't stop him from tearing off his own shirt. Rory looked at Lalo with the same hungry eyes that Lalo had just given him, but when his gaze landed on the spot just below his left collarbone, Rory frowned, "You have a tattoo?"