XXXIV. Oliver Wood

The One with the Seeker

[A.N. >> screw the years, since oliver wood had finished hogwarts before umbridge came
to hogwarts]

Professor McGonagall came in walking onto the flying grounds with a dead-serious expression on her face. The team captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team saw her approaching and landed to where she walked. ''Is there something wrong, professor?'' Oliver asks concerned. ''Yes,'' she breathes sharply, ''I came here to inform that you just lost your seeker.'' Oliver tilts his head while his eyes widen, ''I'm sorry, what?'' He glances over his shoulder, seeing Harry was indeed missing.
''That's why he is not here,'' Oliver groans, ''so, we need a new seeker ... Before Saturday.'' Oliver sounded like all hope was lost since it was Tuesday already. ''I might have found someone,'' McGonagall says slowly. Oliver's sad expression melted away, ''you have?! Who is he or she?'' ''I will get her,'' McGonagall says and swiftly walks away. ''Thank you.''

McGonagall's POV

I sat in my office while the third-years had their Quidditch class from Madam Hooch. As I took a break from my work, I stepped in front of the window, observing my students. There was one student who caught my eye. Since they were playing a small match, I noticed someone diving towards the Snitch. I kept my eyes on the Gryffindor.
I watched in awe when I saw her getting rid of the Ravenclaw. 'She will be the next seeker,' I thought, smiling. She had talent. She would be the seeker of the Gryffindor Team if Harry Potter wasn't it.

''Y/N Scamander?'' McGonagall asks as soon as she enters the Gryffindor common room. ''That's me,'' I say, rising onto my feet. She gestures me to walk over. I tilt my head and grab my hoodie before following my professor, leaving the tower.
''Professor?'' I ask, ''may I ask where we are going?'' Professor McGonagall glances over her shoulder and sends me a small smile. ''You'll see,'' she whispers. She kept a firm pace and soon I figured out I was walking towards the Quidditch fields.

''Grab your broom,'' McGonagall demands. I grab my broom before I enter the field. I see the captain of the team, flying towards us. He glances at me and McGonagall. ''Is this her?'' he asks full of hope. She nods and Oliver's hope is restored.
His gaze fixes on me, locking eyes. ''I'm Oliver Wood,'' he introduces, ''head of the-'' ''Quidditch team of Gryffindor,'' I finish, ''I know who you are.'' He sends me a humble smile, ''of course you do.'' Professor McGonagall smiles and says, ''I'll leave you to it.'' ''Thank you, professor!''
I looked at him, seeing it was the boy that caught my eye. Yet, never attempted to catch his attention.

''Feel delighted to join us,'' he smiles, ''as I see you already have your broom." I didn't need to think twice before I was in the air. I made eye contact with Oliver, seeing this twinkle in his eyes.
     "Let's see what you can do."

After an hour, practise has finished. Oliver was impressed by my flying skills. He had been observing me while he was casually leaning on his broom. He noticed the back of my hoodie. He always spotted that surname in common room.
     "I'm impressed," he says. He glances over his shoulder, gesturing his team to come over. "What do you guys think?" Oliver asks. "We have found our new person to protect," Fred smirks and winks in my direction. my cheeks heatened as I gazed to Oliver.
"I think too," he smiles and turns to his players, "rest out. Practice is over." Everyone walks away, leaving me and Oliver alone.

"I thought, maybe we could practice together to increase your skills," he suggests, "until Saturday. Since we are on short days." I agree on his offer, "that's fine with me."
     "What year are you? If I may ask," Oliver asks gently. "Third years," I reply. Oliver nods, "I'm fifth years."

The two of us walked back to the Gryffindor Tower. "Tomorrow, after dinner?" Oliver suggests, sending me a small, shy smile. I return the smile and nod, "that would be nice." "Great," he chuckles, scratching the back of his neck.
     Oliver looks around as he hears someone whistling. "Did you hear that?" he asks confused. He looks at me, hearing me whistle as well. The next moment, someone appears from upstairs.