Chapter 10: The Unpleasant Turn

CHAPTER TEN

THE UNPLEASANT TURN

            The three made their way through the city. Kaj looked around, staring at the buildings and people.  Everyone in this city seemed sluggish and depressed.  They all looked down, not even glancing up.  The buildings were poorly made.  They all seemed to be made of cheap, thin metal nailed together.  Most of the buildings were damaged in some way, whether it'd be the roof missing or a collapsed wall.  It was a let-down for Kaj.  The way he remembered it as a kid was far better.  The city to him was exciting and lively.  Now, it was depressing and disappointing.

            One poor old man grabbed a hold of Kaj's shoulder.  "Please son, can you spare some money," he said in a raspy, tired voice.  He let out a few violent coughs.  "Please."  His long beard was stained brown, and his clothes were falling off his bony body.

            "Hey!" The Galactic Soldier yelled, noticing the situation that was going on.  He pulled out his rifle and aimed it at the old man.  "What have I told you!  No harassing the newcomers!  Besides, what do you need money for?  Your world is ending.  You'd probably just blow it anyway.  Now, release him!"

            The old man released his grip on Kaj.  He dusted off his shoulder.  Kaj felt sorry for the man, but there was nothing he could do.

            "Let's go," the Galactic Soldier instructed.  They both followed.

            As they were leaving, Kaj turned around and mouthed the words, "I'm sorry" to the poor old man.  He sat there on his knees, watching them walk away.

            The Galactic Soldier led them to the line of people that were waiting to board the ship.  Most of them were Galactic Soldiers, with a few groups of Daj accompanying them. Kaj tried looking around to see if he could spot anyone who was on the shuttle he was on, mainly Maj, but could not.

            "I can't believe it," Phos said.  "Today I woke up, thinking it was going to be another ordinary day.  But it took just one person to make it an extraordinary day."  He looked down at Kaj and patted him on the back.

            The line moved fairly quickly, with just a few more people ahead of them.  Kaj couldn't have been more excited.  He looked over at the ship. It stood up tall, like a rocket ship.  The ship was a dark red with several streaks of silver lines running down it.  A few windows were located on the ship.

            One young Daj, about the same age as Kaj was standing in front of him, waiting patiently to be boarded.  "I'll be right back," Kaj said to Phos as he walked up to talk to the Daj.

            He tapped the Daj's exposed shoulder.  His skin was far more tan than Kaj's.  The young Daj turned around, facing Kaj.  His short dark hair didn't move out of place as he did so.

            "Hey man," the young Daj said to Kaj.  He seemed happy that someone actually wanted to talk to him.