Part 34; Pain

The pain of missing him was too much. I couldn't take not seeing him everyday. It's been 4 days since he died. Four long and painful days. The pain was too much, and it was taking over me. 

I went to pay his phone bill, just so I could hear his voice, just once more. While I was at the store, I asked them about the number that had kept calling me.

"One more thing, can you use caller I.D. to see whose been calling me?" I asked after I paid the bill.

"Of course, just let me see your phone." The man said, and took my phone.

He punched in some numbers on his computer, and said, "The caller is calling from San Francisco County Prison. That's all I can tell you, sorry." 

"That's okay. Thank you for doing this for me." I replied as I walked out of the store. 

I knew exactly who it was. James. 

He had been calling me, but how did he have rights to call? He was going to be locked up for ten years, without a phone-call privileges for at least 5 years. How did he contact me?

I remember our conversation, he said he was coming for me. 

Did this mean, he was, out?

 I hope not. 

-

The day was still young, and I didn't know what to do. I decided to call Mrs.West and see how she was doing.

I picked up my phone, and she answered after the second ring, "Hello?" 

"Hello Mrs.West, how are you doing today?" I asked.

"I'm good, and you dear?" 

"I'm fine, I'm just bored, and I decided to call you and see how you were doing." 

"Well thank you, dear."

"Also, I paid Andrew's phone bill, just so we could hear his voice-mail." I told her.

"Oh, you didn't have to do that." She said.

"I just wanted to hear his voice whenever I wanted to." I explained to her.

"Well thank you." She said.

"That's all I think, have a good day."  I said.

"You too dear, goodbye." 

"Goodbye." 

I hung up and set my phone back down. I put on some yoga pants and a sweater, and just sat around. It was about 6 o'clock. when my phone rang. It was from the unknown number. It was James. I swallowed hard and answered.

"H-hello?" I asked, trying not to sound terrified.

"So you know who I am now, don't you."

"How do you know?" I asked.

How did he know that I identified him at the store.

"I have my ways." He replied.

"What do you want? Why are you calling me?" I asked.

 I was scared, and he knew I was, so he kept the call going on.

"You know exactly why. And you know exactly what I want." He told me.

"No, I don't. What do yo-"

"I want you, damn-it! Now, keep an eye out, I'm coming."

The line went dead.

He was going to escape and come after me. He was going to get revenge for what I did to him. 

I laid down on my couch, and shut my eyes.