Chapter 16

YN POV

I wrote the letter and put it in an envelope and sealed it.

—Richard Bowen, you better appreciate everything I fucking do for you.— I said out loud.

Next Day

I woke up and changed my clothes, went to the bathroom, washed my face, and moisturized. I then put my hair in a ponytail since it was getting hot.

 I then put my hair in a ponytail since it was getting hot

(Since you are technically Mexican in this book, the bandana shirt does NOT count as cultural appropriation from my part since I am Mexican and Peruvian)

Hola mami, me desayuno y luego voy a la casa de Nini, ¿si?— (Hey mama, I'm gonna eat breakfast and then I'll go to Nini's okay?) I told my mom.

Pero, mi niña, siempre estás en la calle.— (But sweetie, you're always outside) my mom said.

Recuerdo que un día me dijiste "mija, ¿por que no sales con tus amigas algún lado para que no te pases todo el día encerrada?"— (I remember that one day you told me "sweetie, why don't you go out with your friends somewhere so you don't spend all day indoors") I told her.

Bueno, está bien, ten tus panqueques, y come y cepíllate los dientes después.— (Fine, it's okay, here's your pancakes, eat and brush your teeth afterwards) my mom said, so after eating my pancakes, I brushed my teeth, grabbed my bag and the letter. I started walking to Nini's house when I saw Peter in his car.

—Oh hey Peter, whats up?

—Nothing much. You going to Nini's?— Peter asked me.

—Yeah, actually.

—You want a ride? My job is literally passing by Nini's house.— Peter told me,

—Yeah sure.— I said and Peter left his side, opened the door for me and when I got in, he closed the door after me and got back to his side of the car. Who taught him to be this much of a gentleman?— So Peter, where you working at?

—An ice cream shop, your favorite ice cream shop actually.— Peter told me.

—There's no way you got a job at Michoacana's Paleteria.— I said.

—Ah, pero si tengo trabajo allí.— (But i do have a job there) Peter said.

—Damn, I guess those Spanish classes really worked for you. Sadly Ricky still hasn't learned.— I said.

—Spanish class doesn't help at all; if you are willing to learn, you will teach yourself Spanish on your own time. And we are in front of Nini's house.— Peter said.

—Thanks, Pete.— I said and kissed his cheek, I'm Latina, it's what I do. I got out of the car.—I'll text you later.

—Bye, YN.— Peter said and left. I knocked on Nini's door.

—Hey YN, you're just in time, my moms are cooking.— Nini said as I got inside.— Mom, Ina, YN came, can she eat with us?

—Of course, sweetie.— Carol said. So all four of us ate together, yes, I know, I'm a fat ass and I don't care. Nini and I went to her room after eating.

—Nini, the guy write you another letter.

—Oh wow, I really needed this after my break up with EJ. Is there any chance I can meet him?— Nini asked me.

—How about the Fourth of July, doesn't EJ do a barbecue every year? We can go and you'll meet the guy.— I said.

—That sounds amazing, actually. EJ and i are still cool so the Fourth of July barbecue would be awesome.— Nini said but then I had an idea.

—Wait...what about we do the barbecue at my lake house.— i said,

—Since when do you have a lake house?

—My godfather has a lake house but he said I can use it whenever. I'll call him.— I said and took my phone out to call him.— Hola padrino, ¿cómo está? (Hey, godfather, how are you?)

—Estoy muy bien, mi niña preciosa, ¿que quiere la princesa? (I'm fine, my precious little girl, what does the princess want? If you haven't noticed, Hispanics/Latinos are VERY affectionate)

—Estaba pensando en hacer una fiesta con mis amigos para el cuatro de julio y quería saber si puedo usar la casa de lago.— (I was thinking about throwing a party with my friends for the fourth if July and i wanted to know if I can use the lake house) i asked him.

Pues claro que si mija, solo avísale a tus padres. No quiero que tu mamá me llame gritando diciendo por que te presté la casa. Adiós, ahijada, me tengo que ir, chao.— (Of course you Can, dear, just tell your parents. I don't want your mom to call me screaming saying why I let you use the house. Buy, goddaughter, I gotta go, chao) my godfather said and I hung up.

—He said I can use his lake house. Okay so I'll text everyone we know about the barbecue at the lake house. Not to worry, I'll ask Peter and Pierce to grill everything while I make pasta, rice, guacamole, and salad. Nini, you need to buy chips, drinks, and cups. I can't believe I'm gonna throw a party. I have to go to the lake house the night before to start cooking everything in the morning. The barbecue will start at 2.— I said. I texted everyone about the party, the address, and the time. I texted peter and Pierce if they can grill the hotdogs, chicken breasts, and burger patties. They said yes and they will also be bringing the buns. I texted my mom and dad about the party and they said it's okay as long as I don't drink booze. I texted Ricky so he can drive me to the lake house the day before and he could stay with me so we can talk about how he will meet Nini.

—Wow YN, I gotta tell my moms. This is gonna be amazing.— Nini said.

—Yeah; I told the whole theater crew to come since we honestly don't have that much friends, let's be real.— I said.

—True. Do you think the fridge is stocked at the lake house?— Nini asked.

—Probably. There are also ice pops and ice cream in the freezer; my godfather has a sweet tooth.— I said.

—Cool. I can't wait to meet the poet behind these letters. I should start picking out an outfit now. Help me?— Nini asked me

—Yeah sure.— I said. This Fourth of July will be the best and the worst day of my life, if that even makes sense.

Honestly, that's how barbecues are with my family.