Limitless

author's note:

Hi! This is a one-chapter 'book' based on a dialogue from Dodie's "In The Middle". Show some love on the MV and to me, too. ♡︎

DISCLAIMER

Limitless is now edited. Nov. 8, 2020.

Happy Reading!

~

"Have you tried the cake?" she asked. "It's good."

I looked at her, longing evident in her beautiful, perfect face. 

"Maybe you're thinking, 'I've already eaten', or 'I want to dance later and don't want to feel bloated.' she said. "Maybe you're thinking, 'I'm on a diet'.

She took my hand in hers and rubbed her thumb soothingly on my hand. I felt the coldness of her as it reminded me that she's here, with me, yet still gone and far.

"Hmm..." I replied, motioning for her to continue as I tilted my head to bask in the moonlight.

"But then, how many times will you be offered a piece of cake as delicious as this?" she glanced at me and I, too, looked in her mesmerizing blue eyes. "Perhaps two or three times a year if you're lucky. Over the course of your life? Maybe two hundred times."

"And how many times will you refuse?" she said, looking down at the field of flowers before us.

I didn't care that there was a spirit that I can touch beside me. I didn't care that I'm at this stupid posh party looking like a crazy person talking to no one. The only thing that mattered tonight was that my love was here with me. I get to spend a few moments that were stolen from us when she was killed. 

"How many times will you go skinny-dipping in the moonlight? Maybe seven, if you're lucky." I smiled as I closed my eyes, remembering the time we went to a random beach, discarded our clothing, and swam in the cool waters, the moon shining brightly in the night sky. 

"How many times will you lie on your back in the grass and watch the stars?" she said. I opened my eyes and looked at her and saw a lone tear fall on her cheek. I wiped it away with my thumb and intertwined our fingers.

"How many times will you let yourself be completely overwhelmed by the great inconceivable expanse of the universe?" she said softly, letting her intellectual self takeover. I hate seeing her cry, it pains me so much. 

"There are only so many chances to take, and of course, you don't know when it will end." she said as her voice softens. I knew that she'll be gone soon. I don't know how but, I just knew. 

"So it all feels... limitless." she said in a whisper as another tear fell down. I also felt some pooling in my eyes. She was starting to fade, my hold on her felt softer and lighter as if I was holding nothing at all. It was time.

I pressed a kiss on her lips, savoring her for the last time. We shared a short but meaningful kiss as we muttered our last words to each other.

"Goodbye." she said as we parted. 

"I love you." I said as I felt her fading more. This was it, the last time we're together. We got the closure and goodbye we never got when she was shot in cold blood by some drunk balding, middle-aged man that's now behind bars. I thought that getting the killer charged and arrested would bring me peace. Well, it did somehow but, there was just something missing. And this was it. A final moment, a final kiss and a final...

"I love you."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

-F E N A K R AH-