Chapter 7 - Almost

Edward's POV

I felt my breathing become more unsteady, and my heart started beating really fast. Why was this happening to me? I have never felt this way before, it's weird and a little unsettling if I'm being honest.
"Ed?" Oswald questioned with concern. I can't do this, it's much too difficult.
"Um...I..." I quickly took my hand away from his and stood up. "I'm so sorry Oswald...I-I've forgotten...um...I'm going to go. I'm sorry" I pushed my glasses up a bit and hastily left the room, leaving poor Oswald there alone and confused. Hopefully not upset.

 I went into my room and closed the door quickly. This was the first time I'd been in here properly since coming back. I came in briefly earlier to get fresh clothes at Oswald's request. I hadn't even noticed my pillows were a bit roughed up, and the covers weren't as neat as I had left them.

"Was he...sleeping in here?" I walked over to my bed and picked up a pillow. I inhaled it deeply, and took in the sweet scent of Oswald's hair product that had been rubbed off into it. "Yeah, he was" I let out a small chuckle. "That's pretty cute" but why would he...did he really miss me that much? Leaving was a horrible decision to make. 

This was still a bad time to confess. I mean, I don't even have it all figured out myself. My whole life I thought I was straight, but my hallucination self has to come along and protest against this. Well I have always had my suspicions I was bisexual but maybe hallucination-me was just trying to get under my skin? What if I don't have feelings for Oswald. I need to properly figure this out. But...the way he makes me feel. Come to think of it, he's made me feel whole ever since I took him in at my apartment last year. So say I do truly have feelings for him, is it mutual? I-I don't think Oswald Cobblepot is the type to get romantically involved with anyone. There's the fact that it doesn't fit him, and the fact his greatest weakness is love. I don't want to ruin the best friendship I have ever had by coming out to him with all this. He might hate me, or at the least find it too awkward to be around me. Oh god, I'm thinking too much into this. 

I had changed into some pajamas and curled up on my bed. I lay awake for a while, hoping I hadn't hurt Oswald by leaving like that, and feeling awful if I had. Maybe I should go see him. He might be angry at me...These thought's are keeping me up, I just can't relax. That settles it! I need to go and apologise right now. I got up and walked over to my door. I slowly opened it, and it made such an eerie creaking sound. Typical old house. I started down the hallway, towards Oswald's room. Hopefully he was in there. Hopefully he wasn't so mad to the point he'd try and kill me. The lit candles along the hallway and the moonlight shining through the odd window here and there made this place seem so much more creepy. Is it always this creepy?

I finally reached the door to Oswald's room. I knocked softly a couple of times, but no-one answered. Should I call out? No. I should just go in. I knocked a couple more times, but still no-one answered. Was he already asleep? Was he even in there? I sighed and went for the door handle, carefully and quietly pulled it down. I placed my other hand against the door so I could steadily push it open, hopefully this one didn't creak. Once it was open, I let myself in and looked to the bed and saw a sleeping Oswald. 

So he has already fallen asleep. Well, looks like my apology will need to wait until morning. I was about to leave when I was stopped by a small quiet whine coming from his direction. I turned back around to face him. He started to fidget a lot under his covers, and his whimpers got louder, more intense until they were basically screams.

"ED!" I heard him scream. Well that was it. I run over to his bed and gently grabbed him for comfort. I pulled him close to me, but this didn't help so I tried to shake him awake.