|14| WE DWELL PAST(part 3)

MADAM SHARON'S POV

18 years back,

__________________

The fact that I should run away is known by me.

I know it well that once they find me out, they will not think twice before killing me but I also know this that, no matter where I hide, they will surely get a hold of me someday or the other. That will probably be the day when I breathe for the very last time.

For someone who has no one left to mourn after her death, it becomes a little easier to deal with situations like this. And therefore, if it was my life that was on stake, I wouldn't have thought twice before surrendering myself.

But I have something else that I have to protect.

I have a promise to keep.

And for that I have to keep myself alive. I can't let them find me out and even if they do I can't have them take my life.

Joseph can reach any limits for knowing those eight digits, if required, even kill me, let alone be Glenen. It's all a game, a game where only the one who has a heavier pocket, rules and thrives.

But I can't afford to tell them the code. I can't afford to let them have Glenen's hard earned money, at least not after what they did to him. That is the money he earned over the years to give Eliza the kind of life he couldn't give to April.

Yes, he was a bad man who got himself indulged with all sorts of terrible activities, but he wasn't a bad father. He lived his life trying to give Eliza a proper life. The fact that he gave Joseph her responsibility was also because of that. Unfortunately, he wasn't a very good judge of people.

I know that I was never someone who was truly cared for in this household. Serving Glenen 24/7, being a victim of his abuse despite giving my best in the chores, I always thought of giving up. But Eliza's bright face gave me strength.

The way she used to hide the candies they gave at the school canteen under her pillow and gave it to me at the daybreak, the way she did my first aid every time I got injured, the way she used to save me a part of the chocolate cake Glenen bought her every weekend - she was just like my own daughter.

Honestly at this point of time I don't even know whether to use 'is' or 'was'.

It's already been five days that I am stranded here, alone in this house, the house where just two nights back that terrible disaster took place.

I haven't heard of Eliza since then. In fact I don't even know whether she is alive or nor.

If protecting the code and not letting it be known by them was the only responsibility I had, I would have by now shot myself to death. But it's for Eliza that I have to survive.

Glenen was not even given an opportunity to place forward his last wish but somehow his eyes spoke on behalf of him.

It was Eliza.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Says who?"

"There is no way you know my mother"- Mel made an attempt to make her statement sound like a yell.

"You know nothing."- I knew that if I don't confess then maybe Mel will never even come to know the cause of her sufferings but I wasn't very sure if she would be able to handle it all that well.

"Remember the day when you asked why there were only twenty frames on the black wall?"- Adam interrupted.

I turned around at his words, signaling him to stop.

Adam has been with me for a while and knowing bits of everything that has happened before and might happen in the future, he does have a say in this matter. But letting him reveal Eliza's past would never be a wise decision.

Mel needs to know everything.

Half baked knowledge can be even more dangerous.

A/N

Note: This entire chapter is written in Madam Sharon's point of view.

Read, vote and comment.