Chapter 7. Flying Lessons ☾

A/N: Not mine, sadly. The characters and the basic plotline belong to JK. Any similar content to the books can be found in The Sorcerer's Stone p. 145-154.

It was a sunny Thursday morning. Harry, Hermione, and Draco went to breakfast. As they sat down at the Gryffindor table, the mail owls swooped in. Harry was curious to see what would happen considering Draco would not take the Remembrall this time around.

A barn owl flew down to Neville and dropped a package in front of him. He eagerly opened it up, and gushed over the trinket. Draco rolled his eyes but said nothing.

"It's a Remembrall." He exclaimed excitedly. "Gran knows I forget things. It tells you..."

"We know what it does, Longbottom." Draco interrupted. Hermione glared at him. He shrugged half-apologetically.

At that moment, Finnegan and Zabini stalked up to the Gryffindor table.

"What you got there, Longbottom?" Finnegan interrogated. Neville flinched as Zabini snatched the trinket and gave it to Finnegan. "Hmm, a Remembrall. Forgotten something, have we?"

"Hey, that's mine!" Neville defended weakly. He tried to grab it back from the boys, but they held it high up in the air.

Draco turned to Hermione and Harry and whispered, "Was I really that important?" Hermione rolled her eyes, but nodded.

"What is going on here?" A silky voice asked. The trio turned to find their potions master standing in front of them, looking between his arrogant Slytherins and the helpless Neville.

"Finnegan and Zabini took Longbottom's present from his grandmother, Professor Snape." Draco complained, hoping he still had some sway with his beloved godfather. Snape turned to his Slytherins.

"You should probably return that back to Mr. Longbottom before Professor McGonagall is called over. You do not want to be in her crosshairs." Professor Snape instructed smoothly. Draco gave him a gracious smile. Professor Snape strode back to the High Table, not looking back at his godson. Finnegan and Zabini gave the trinket back and left.

"That was strange." Harry admitted. Draco smirked. He turned back to his food.

"I'm important." Draco preened quietly. Harry and Hermione rolled their eyes.

Later that afternoon, all the Gryffindors hurried down to their first flying lesson. Harry was excited. He had missed flying so much the past year.

When they arrived, the Slytherins were waiting with Madame Hooch.

"Everyone stand by a broomstick." Madame Hooch commanded. While she waited for everyone to follow her instructions, Ron turned to Harry.

"I'm the best flyer ever, Harry. Just watch. I can show you all the tricks." Ron bragged. Harry had to roll his eyes. Draco snickered in the background.

Madame Hooch instructed them to yell "up" towards their brooms. Harry and Draco watched as Ron struggled to budge the broom. Finally, when they had their fun, they both shrugged and yelled "Up" to their brooms. Both complied immediately.

Ron looked at both of them with awe. "This broom is stubborn." He excused. Draco rolled his eyes and turned away, trying not to fall on the floor laughing.