Chapter 1

A/N: So I just unloaded 15 chapters of this story on here from my Tumblr (@onthepageoftears) because I thought I might as well have it on other platforms (it's on ao3 as well). There are only a couple of chapters of this series left, but I will upload the chapters that are left every Friday! Enjoy!

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

Taverns were one of your least favorite places to meet. The stench of the unfortunate man's breath wafted through the air, on top of the lingering odor of cheap alcohol. Men staggered around with their mouths wide open, yelling obscenities — women pulled down their dresses just enough to gain attention, glaring at anyone who passed. Everyone was way too loud, as if the sound of their slurred words were more valued over anyone else's.

Your hood hung low over your head, just high enough to leave space for you to see. Your eyes immediately scanned the tavern — it was smaller than the usual ones you met at, but just as packed. The stuffiness of the room practically smacked you in the face as soon as you walked in, almost making you scrunch your nose. The smell was way worse than you remembered.

You kept your face stiff as your eyes stopped at a table near the back. Without a second thought, you made your way past the piles of people and towards the familiar head of hair you would recognize in a mass of a hundred people.

"I see you still have an impeccable taste for meeting places." Your voice caused him to look up just as you sat across from him, removing the hood that covered most of your face.

"You know I do." Rauf smiled proudly despite your obvious sarcasm. He gestured to the full cup of ale that was already in front of you. "A drink?"

You shook your head, "Not tonight."

"Come on, Y/N. It's just like old times." Rauf was right. The length of the walls, wood of the tables, even the stench of the ale in your cup. It reminded you of the many nights you and Rauf would retreat to the taverns after training. A hard day's work requires a hard day's ale. It was what he said when he treated you to your first, and definitely not last, drink. You were pretty sure he just wanted an excuse to get drunk — which, you wouldn't blame him for. Your line of work was never easy, not even for a veteran like him.

You picked up the drink with a sigh. "What's the occasion?"

"Can't I just want to have a drink with my favorite niece?"

"Only niece. And not by blood." You reminded him every time, but it didn't stop him from saying it.

Rauf was a family friend, always had been. You called him uncle, even when you were old enough to understand he had no relation to your family's bloodline. Growing up, he was a common visitor at your parents' home, frequently coming for a chat over some dinner. He would ruffle your hair on his way out, send you a wink every time. You always loved his visits, because it was the only time your parents stopped fighting; in those times, you felt like you had a normal, happy, family. Now, Rauf was the only one of your family that you had left.

You shook the memory from your mind and put the cup down. "You have a new target?"

Rauf was busy watching a woman drunkenly dance to the poor excuse of music, but he responded nonetheless. "When do I not?" He turned back to his own cup and chugged it down. After he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, he looked at you. "People are shitty, Y/N, always have been."

"My point exactly." You tapped the table beneath you, trying to keep your patience. Sometimes, it was hard for you to imagine Rauf running an assassin's guild. He was responsible, sure, but in front of you, he acted like any other man in the tavern. In this case, that meant being almost unable to tear his eyes from beautiful women. There was always a charm about him, though, like the charisma of a well-respected bard — without the annoying craving for attention. He was messy looking, but in a good way, and his smile was infectious. At a single glance, you wouldn't think he has killed people.