Chapter 10

"Invade a bandit camp? What...exactly...does that entail?"

You kept your eyes forward, trying to keep up with Geralt's fast pace while also listening to Jaskier. Almost immediately after the three of you left the stream to follow the bandit's tracks, Jaskier was asking ten questions a second. You tried to be patient with him, but at this point, he was getting under your skin.

"It entails us going in there, finding the girl—" You turned to the bard, your eyes meeting his in a serious regard, "And you staying behind."

Surprisingly, he didn't argue at that. Instead, he asked another question.

"How do we even know there's a camp?"

"They're not going to be in the village, and if they were, we would've seen them," You spoke again before he could ask the question you assumed he would. "There's at least four or five of them. They travel in somewhat bigger groups so it's easier to raid farms and such. If they weren't hiding out here, the village would've been taken over when we got there. Which is also how we know there aren't that many of them."

Jaskier's mouth hung agape, quickly closing shut at the realization that you had answered all of his questions. He gave a curt nod and turned back towards Geralt, who was already a couple more feet ahead of the two of you. You both instinctively quickened your steps, making sure to keep a safe amount of distance from Geralt while also being close enough just in case.

The sound of all of your steps in the forest overtook the silence for a moment. The moment was short-lived, but this time, Jaskier's voice was quiet, only directed at you.

"Why do you think they took her to the camp?"

You faltered. It was something you...hadn't really wanted to think about. The only things that came to your mind were bad ones: they could've tortured her to the point where she wished she was dead, tortured her until she was dead, or just killed her right away. Of course, there was the slim chance that they hadn't done anything to her — yet. But that chance was not one you were willing to take.

Jaskier's eyes stayed on you as you let out a sigh. "If what I think is right, it's not good." You turned to him, clenching your jaw as you swallowed the lump in your throat. "Let's hope I'm wrong."

Geralt continued to lead the three of you as he followed the track marks. It didn't take too long for him to stop and direct you all behind a hefty log, but by then the sun was almost past the horizon. Still, Geralt's skill proved themselves respectable, as if it were just you tracking it would have taken way, way longer to find the camp.

You were all a safe distance away from the sounds of laughter and distant conversation. There was a small camp, but big enough to be surrounded by barrels of what you assumed was stolen goods, as well as makeshift walls against any intruders or monsters of the likes. There were some torches set up on the edges of the camp — the bandits must have planned to stay there for a while. From where you were squatted, you could see eight men — more than you originally thought.

"So what do we do now?"

You snapped your head towards Jaskier, your voice in a sharp whisper, "We do nothing."

"What? I can't let you go in there by yourselves!"

You scrunched your nose, "Why not?"

"Because — well, something could happen, and I'll need to be there to help—"

"No. Definitely not." You turned back to the camp, making sure all the men were still there. "You stay here."

"Geralt—"