~Chapter 11: Blackout~

Zak's POV:

I yawned, turning off my alarm. It was 11:30 PM, a half hour until my shift started. I got dressed and headed out to my car, being quiet of course to not wake Vincent.

I arrived at Walmart and went inside. Dave was there talking to someone I hadn't met yet.

"Oh, good evening Zak, good to see you're here on time," Dave greeted me. "I dont think you've met him yet, this is Jacob."

"Hello, Zak," We shook hands. "I usually do night shift, so I'll tell you a few things to help you out." I nodded.

"Well, I'll be going," Dave said.

"Wait..I'll be here alone?" I asked.

"Yes, but dont worry, I'm sure you'll do fine," Dave reassured me.

"Okay, bye Dave," I waved as he left.

"Alright, so you shouldn't expect much. This place is pretty dead at night." Jacob told me. "There'll be a few customers here and there, but hopefully you wont get anyone to crazy."

"If you say so," I said.

"Theres gonna be a bit of a storm tonight, so incase of a blackout, the breaker is in the back storage room," Jacob explained, "That's pretty much it."

"Okay, thanks Jacob." I said.

"No problem, I'll be going now, cya."

"Bye." Great, now I'm alone in this creepy place with a storm starting outside.

I sighed, leaning against a wall.

~~~

I've had a few customers so far, all relatively normal. The storm was pretty bad now, with the occasional thunder that would make me jump. It was pretty quiet for a while, so I jumped when I heard the front doors open.

I turned around and was a bit surprised to see Darryl here. What's he doing out so late at night? I ignored it and continued looking at my phone.

It suddenly became dim, making it really hard to see. The building fell silent as everything turned off. I felt my heart drop as I realized what had happened. The power went out. I turned my phone flashlight on as I scanned the area around me. I gulped, scared of the fact that I have to cross the entire store to reach the back room.

Who else is even here? Oh wait! Darryl's here somewhere, I should find him.

I jumped as I heard a crash from somewhere in the store. A scream followed right after. That must be Darryl, so much for thinking he would be a man who could protect me. I walked in the direction I thought the crash came from.

I stopped when I saw someone picking up boxes in the distance. "Hello?" I said loudly.

"Hello? Is someone there? I'm sorry for making such a ruckus," I saw him look around. He noticed my light, and I began walking towards him.

"Darryl, is that you?" I asked.

"Huh? How do you know my name."

"Its me Zak, remember? I work here."

"Oh right, hi Zak, sorry for making such a mess," He apologized, "Its hard to see in the dark."

"Its fine, there's been a power outage," I explained.

"Yes, I see."

I fidgeted with my hands, "I was wondering if you'd come with me to fix it?"

"Hm? What are you scared?" He laughed.

"A little," I mumbled.

"I'll come with you, lead the way."

I walked with him to the back of the store. The booming sound of thunder startled me as I clung to Darryls arm for protection.

"I dont like storms either, but dont you think that's a bit much for your age?" He said.

My face became flushed as I realized what I did. "Oh s-sorry Darryl, I didnt mean to."

He laughed, "Its fine."

We made it the the back room and fixed the breakers. I sighed in relief as the lights began to turn back on.

"Thanks Darryl, I'm not really a fan of the dark."

"Its nothing, I'm a little scared too sometimes," He said.

I checked out his items and he waved to me as he left. I checked my phone, only an hour until this is over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey! Its Midnight!

First off, sorry for not updating for so long! I lost motivation for this book for a bit, but I'm back now. I hope to update this book more often now, but I cant say for sure.

Thanks for reading chapter 11 of Dog Dreams!

If you have any suggestions or constructive criticism, please say it here!

Also, if you didnt notice, I'm using Zelks real name now, Jacob. I'm too lazy to go back and change it in the other chapter.

One more thing, almost 5k reads and over 250 votes?! Tysm! <3

Bai! _/(•w•)/'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~