June

Mavonn Fehr

New York city was one of the bustling cities in United States of America. Yellow cabs roaming around the streets and there, a magnificent statue of Liberty rises throughout the American horizon was built and given by France.

I remember those days of funky highschool life. Boys who were seniors played the basketball game against other schools. I remember that my peers broke into the campus in the midnight, preparing the pranks for our strict teacher and we're led to the Principal's office. I also remember the woman I really admired with. One of those famous cheerleaders and A+ students. But there are many men who wanted to win her heart.

That's why I stayed single.

My friends were now in their own business. One becomes a CEO, one becomes a national swimmer, one married very young, the other was left by his wife and the other was having therapy in a local mental hospital. I remained single. I still working as a singer in my aunt's café and living alone in a small apartment nearby.

Now I'm finished practicing the song, I returned the guitar to its case and carried out to the café. I saw people walking through the streets as it was our normal routine. Then I stopped on my track and looked at the sign. Dale's Café. My aunt married an American businessman in Texas and moved to New York to start their little business. She also became my second mom when my parents divorced just before the graduation. It was sick to hear them separated when I was seventeen.

I slowly opened the door and greeted the waitress. She was still in college and she'll work part-time job just to pay her college fees. Her name is Kelly.

"Hi Mavonn! Good morning!" Her cheery smile was shown on her innocent face.

I walked towards the mini stage and rearranged the instruments. The microphone, speakers, and sound amplifier. Coughing, I grabbed the map from the officals' locker and mopped the floor, from the stage down to everywhere in the café. Except the kitchen, yeah of course.

A young Senior from my old school helped to arrange the chairs and wiping the tables. His name is Trevor Stilton. He moved here from Sheffield, England to study independently. He has red curls with bluish green eyes that made him inherit the Northern European genes.

"Hey Mavonn! Have you practice the song?"

I smiled while mopping. "Yeah, how about you, have you study your lessons well?"

"Yeah but bit uneasy with the maths here." He wiped the table after squirting some water on the damp cloth. "You know. Maths here is different."

"Yes and I also totally sucked on it." I added. "Aunt Dale will come later. Right?"

"Right."

8:05 am

The café was atmosphericly hovered by the smell of latte. People queued up to the counter and order their meals. I saw Trevor walking fastly back and forth, from table to another table. His tray went with drinks, burgers, and sandwiches. And me, I was strumming my acoustic guitar to its melody.

I walked towards the microphone stand and smiled at the audience. "Good morning New Yorkers, do you have a good day?"

The crowd cheered in response. Some were raising their hands and some were shouting like those fangirls. "Yeeeessss!" They roared.

Do you need me, baby?
Do you need my love?
Can you feel it now?
I think it's just a mystery

I plucked the guitar and played it with feelings. The more melody rang, the more it sang with the harmony of my voice.