~2~

While (y/n) chewed on the slice of white bread, remembering all the memories he had with his grandmother. Unknown to him, the other loaf of bread started to shine with a golden glow. Pulsing with life, it began to glow even brighter, catching Eclair's attention. He ran around the table, frantically trying to get (y/n)'s attention. Even squeaking, and trying to bite his owner's fingers, as he saw the bread transform into something.

  Glowing brightly, the light grew in size, transforming into an arm, then a leg, a torso, then finally a head. As the light faded, (y/n) snapped out of his thoughts, to see why Eclair was squeaking frantically. Where the second loaf of bread had been, was now a light-brown skinned male standing in (y/n)'s kitchen. His clothes were similar to ancient garments worn by an Egyptian Pharaoh, with a well-built figure, short black hair, and luminous golden eyes, the air surrounding him was that of another realm.

   The male didn't seem to be aware of (y/n)'s presence, he looked at his arms, flexing his fingers, checking if they were in working order. Glancing up, he noticed (y/n), walking to him, the male bowed, while Eclair was baring his teeth at him. 

"Wa-how-where did you even come from?" (y/n) asked, knowing for sure that he had locked the door behind him, and there weren't any unlocked windows where the male could've entered from. 

Your pov

"I was summoned here." He said plainly as if that was anything normal to say. Although my grandmother did tell me that her cookbook was magical, I didn't think she meant it. 

"O-okay? Um, wait, what happened to the bread I made?" I asked, looking over at the kitchen, the second loaf was gone. 

"Ah, do forgive me, but in order to enter this realm, I required a baked good that would suffice. The portals between realms are gluttonous and picky, so only something freshly baked would do, for at least the portal I came from." The male said, which didn't make any sense. But, fine, I guess a portal ate my bread? Totally makes sense, right?

"I-I see, um... so, what is your name?" I asked the male, who stood before me. 

"Forgive my sudden intrusion and rudeness, I am Cepos. It's been quite some time since I've last been summoned to this world. By assumption, according to the clothes you're wearing, this is the supposed, modern era I've heard about. Give me a moment to change." The male said, yanking at his white cloak, pulling it off of him. It transforms his clothes into a business casual style. A much more, modernized fashion, although people don't typically wear this style for everyday wear.

  Seeing as this male had some magical abilities or artifacts of his own, seeing his clothes just manifest into a different fashion was surprising, but expected, from everything else he had told me so far. He now wore a blue-black blazer, with a buttoned white under-shirt. A carnelian Egyptian necklace, black pants, and shoes. 

Compared to his Pharaoh clothing from before, the clothes he wore now were a very drastic change. But, at least it wasn't too weird. "Oh, um, hello there, then... Ah, I'm (y/n)." I sloppily introduced myself. 

"(y/n)? I see, then my visit isn't for naught, then. I couldn't help but notice something was wrong with the bread you made. It had a bittersweet feeling, that the portal made me well aware of. Was there anything of recent, that caused you to have such solemn feelings?" Cepos asked.

"Well... sort of, but it's not something I want to talk about right now. Um, have we met before?" I asked since Cepos seemed to question my name for a second and I don't recall meeting someone with golden eyes!

"It's more so that I've aware of your bloodline, rather than yourself. You see, the book that you used to make the bread that you're currently eating, is rather special. No, it's not a spellbook where you can cast magic from, as I've been asked before. Rather, it's a way where bakers like yourself, can receive help from beings like myself." He explained. Eclair, now tired of baring his "fangs" at Cepos ran over to me, wanting to take a nap on my head. Scooping him up with my hands, he scuttled around, before falling asleep.

"Beings like yourself?" I asked, curious of what he exactly was. I mean he looked human, but as I've learned from books and movies, anything can disguise itself as a human.

"Well, of course, how else did the food come to be in any era?" he asked, which the only thought that came to mind, was the adulteration that happened in the Victorian era. Because my college professor was a victorian enthusiast and would just spew random facts about that time. I swear, he probably would've written everything using a feather and quill, had ink not been so expensive.

"So were you also behind the alum, cement bread that the Victorians were all over for because they had a 'whiteish' look to them?" I asked sort of teasing but also out of curiosity. Cepos only smiled in response, but his eyebrows seemed to twitch at what I had just said. 

"Ah, well, we aren't responsible for that, we ONLY teach those that we deem worthy the CORRECT way and the purist way on how to bake the best bread ever. Without, substituting flour for poisonous substances that in turn will make more profit. Now, I do hope you weren't thinking of reenacting a terrible mistake that the simpletons back then did. I do have high hopes for you, after all." He said, a dark aura surrounding him as he spoke with pure disgust on what the Victorian did to ruin breadmaking. 

"Of course not!" I said, almost fearing for my life, seeing as Cepos probably could kill someone if they tried adding something, like bleach into bread. Although, wasn't it borax or arsenic that people used to put in everything? Scary.

"Good. Now, as I was saying, our duty is to aide bakers in progressing towards their dreams. There are different beings that specialize in different areas, as for myself, I specialize in anything bread related. So what is your dream?" Cepos inquired.

"I want to open up my own bakery... but it's useless," I admitted in defeat, I didn't have any funds left to hire another company to remodel the place, and the money I do earn from my office job is so small that it's barely anything. 

"Well, in that case, I can help you. You've already proven yourself to me that you're a talented baker, all you need now is just some guidance." Cepos said, smiling. 

"But I don't have money, it's not possible," I said. 

"You don't need money when you have magic. This is what I'm supposed to do, after all, I suppose in your terms, I would be considered as a small god or servant of God. But in any case, I do have the ability to help you. All that matters right now, is if you're willing to accept my help." Cepos said, offering his hand. 

  He seemed genuine, and although it seems crazy to me to blindly rely on a power that I don't even know exists. I guess I can give him a chance.

"Alright, I accept."