Damsel

Prompt:
Close friends Yejin and Bin, still single at 38.

-

Bin was going through the financial reports of the previous quarter when his phone beeped. He took a peak and saw that it was a group chat of his friends— oldest friends back in college.

Realizing the urgency of his report due tomorrow, he turned his phone in silent, thinking that whatever they were saying in that chat wasn't that significant. Maybe Hyo Jin sent another photo of her puppy, Bin thought.

His phone was silent, but the light from his phone kept turning on whenever they sent a message. There are 8 people in that group, just imagine how chaotic that was.

He was about to turn his phone upside down when he caught a glimpse of Hyo Jin's message, written in all caps and involved a lot of exclamation points.

It read, "D DAMSEL IS IN DISTRESS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!"

Bin sighed, now that he accidentally read that, there was no way he's not gonna reply. He closed his laptop and went out of his apartment, ready to assume the role of her knight in shining armor.

It's not as if he'd let this damsel stay in distress and do nothing to haul her out of it.

-

She was the first person he saw in the middle of a very busy pub, clutching her bottle of soju in her chest as if holding on to dear life. She stood out, as always, because as everyone drank their sojus in shots, she was chugging hers straight out of the bottle.

Crazy woman.

"Bin!" Hyo Jin called. He saw Yejin turn her head in his direction and waved at him. Bin saw the redness in her cheek as her eyes were, and a little sore from what he could guess as crying.

He sat on the empty seat that she reserved for him as he greeted everyone on their table.

Hyo-Jin, Yoon-ah, Yejin, Ji Sub, and Dong Wook were already settled in the table. Their other friends, Gong Yoo and Ji Won are absent. Bin would've been too, if only this damsel wasn't in distress.

After they all greeted Bin, they all continued with the matter at hand: A crying Yejin, who is again basking on the sad fact that she's still single. Nothing new. 

Bin just shook his head. They have known each other for two decades now, and even if they were a relatively close-knit group, Yejin and Bin are the closest ones.

Yejin wrapped her arms in his bicep, and leaned her head on his shoulder, "Bin!!!! What is wrong with me?"

"Nothing's wrong with you, Yejin." Bin replied, tucking in the loose strands of her hair in her ear.

Everyone in the table didn't react and made no effort to stop Bin, because everyone has an idea of what's going on between Yejin and Bin, besides of course, Yejin and Bin.

Ji Sub made him drink two shots to keep up with their drinking session.

Yoon-Ah said, "Yejin's relationship with her past boyfriends didn't work out, she's practically numb by now." Hyo jin continued that statement, ".. and it wasn't  that  serious for anyone she's been with."

"Ya! I'm still here!"

"Just stating facts here, dear. Am I wrong?"

"Still!" Yejin said, who had gulped her soju straight from the bottle, "I'm the only one single in here, I'm gonna die alone. I'm literally a damsel, do you know that?"

Yejin, who had impeccable knowledge in words because of her job as a writer said, "a damsel, noun, literally young unmarried woman,"

"Then you're not a damsel," Dong Wook said, joking to try to ease his friend's sadness, "because you're not young anymore."