The next battle

*Ash POV*

The first round ended with Gary winning the last battle, of course, no surprise there. I eventually found out that 8 people moves on to the next round, those including Gary and I. 

"Hey Ashy-boy, the next battle for ya is a trip down memory lane." Gary said as he entered my locker room minutes after Serena had visited. 

"Huh? Oh, yeah? Who am I up against?" I asked as Gary snapped me out of my trance. 

"You're up against Paul, remember him?" Gary asked. 

"Oh yeah, I do. So when is it?" I asked. 

"Right after my battle with some guy named Barry." Gary said. 

"Hey, I know that guy! Be careful, he's tough." I warned Gary. 

"Don't worry, Ash. You know that I can take whatever's coming." Gary said confidently as he exited my locker room, he was probably going to prepare for his battle. 

"I'm up against Paul, huh? Might as well do a little bit of changing of my roster." I thought as I called Professor Oak. 

"Hey, Professor Oak, it's me. I was wondering whether you could send me some of my Pokemon?" I asked. 

"Heracross and Infernape, please." I repeated. 

Not too long after, the pokeballs that contained Heracross and Infernape arrived. "Good to see you too, old friends." I thought as I looked at the two pokeballs.

*time skip*

After Gary's battle, it was my turn. As I entered the battlefield to see that Paul was already waiting for me across. 

"You were almost late." Paul said in his usual monotone voice. 

"It's good to see you too, Paul." I replied, with him smirking back at me. 

"This battle will be a 2v2 between Paul and Ash! Who will come out on top?" The emcee announced as the two of us took out two pokeballs from our pockets. 

"3...2...1... SEND OUT YOUR POKEMON!" The referee yelled. 

"ELECTIVIRE, AGGRON! STAND BY FOR BATTLE!" Paul yelled. 

"INFERNAPE, HERACROSS! I CHOOSE YOU!" I yelled. 

"On Paul's side, we have two absolute powerhouses! Being Aggron and Electivire! And on Ash's side, we have two extremely powerful Pokemon as well, being Infernape and Heracross." The emcee announced. 

Before I gave my Pokemon commands, I looked over to Serena in the spectators seat. For some reason, just seeing her lit a spark in me which made me even more determined to win. 

"Oi, Ash. Why aren't you starting yet? And are you blushing?" Paul asked as he noticed a slight tint of pink on my face. 

"I-I don't know what you're talking about! Anyway, Heracross, use brick break on Aggron! Infernape, use close combat!" I yelled as Heracross and Infernape charged towards their opponents and landed a considerable amount of damage. 

"Aggron, catch Heracross! Electivire, use shockwave on Aggron!" Paul yelled as his Pokemon obliged. Aggron managed to catch Heracross despite it's speed while Electivire used it's attacks on Aggron, dealing damage to both Pokemon. But, Aggron wasn't as harmed as it was half rock type. 

"Heracross, use brick break to break yourself free! Infernape, help out Heracross by using close combat!" I yelled as Heracross and Infernape landed two direct hits on Aggron. 

"Now finish Aggron off with a flare blitz! Heracross, distract Electivire with mega horn!" I continued on as Infernape's body was surrounded by extremely strong flames. With one direct attack, Infernape defeated Aggron. 

"Way to go, Infernape!" I yelled. 

"Electivire, use focus blast!" Paul yelled as Electivire sent an attack towards Heracross, which Heracross countered with mega horn. "Heracross, use stone edge!" I yelled as Heracross sent over a number of rocks towards Electivire's direction. 

"Infernape, use flamethrower around the stone edge!" I yelled as Infernape obliged. 

"What!? Electivire!" Paul yelled, but it was too late, Electivire was already hit multiple times by Infernape and Heracross's attack, knocking it out. 

"Electivire and Aggron are unable to battle... Infernape and Heracross are the winners. Ash progresses to the next round." The referee announced as the crowd went wild. 

"Not bad, Ash." Paul said as he returned his two Pokemon into their respective pokeballs. 

"You did really well, Paul. I would like to battle you again in the future." I said. 

"That's definitely going to happen." Paul said as he left the battlefield, leaving me to myself. 

I looked over to Serena who was in the spectators seat. Flashing a smile, I gave a thumbs up towards her direction.