How it Happened (1)

"Oh my god, Kuroiro!" Tokage exclaims, catching the white-haired male as he passes out.

"Shihai?" Monoma questions, getting distracted and concerned for his best friend of almost-eleven years.

Upon seeing the state of unconsciousness the black-skinned male is in, he rushes over and snatches him out of Tokage's hold. "Shihaaaai?" He questions, shaking the male.

"Monoma, stop. That could make it worse," the lizard woman states, causing the five-foot-six male to stop shaking Kuroiro and nod slowly.

"What are we going to do until he wakes up?" Monoma asks worriedly, looking down at the unconscious Kuroiro.

"Watch over him? Protect him? I dunno. We're just first-years, ain't we? We weren't prepared for this. Just stick with your instinct," Tokage replies coolly, trying to keep her determined expression.

"Stick with my instinct, yeah," he says. "If only it was that easy."

"I can't stick with my instinct when he could be dying right this instant."

"Do your best, Monoma. Just remember that even if he does, at least it was honourable. He will be remembered with respect."

"Don't say that, Tokage! If he does now I won't be able to live with myself!"

I know what all you readers are thinking:
Why is Monoma so panicky and caring all of a sudden? Isn't he an egoistic student?

Well he and Shihai are beat friends, having known each other since age five.

Neito was there for Shihai when the latter needed him most.

For comfort, for support, for appreciation.

Shihai wouldn't have known what he'd do without Neito.

But now that I think about it...Is that how Shishi felt when Shikha was dying?

It must be.

All the good times they had in the past. All the struggles they faced together.

It all flashed before Neito's eyes.

When they first met.

"Hi, neighbour! My name is Kuroiro. Kuroiro Shihai!" Shihai had held his hand out for Neito, wanting to make friends with him.

"I'm Monoma," Neito says, shaking Shihai's hand. "Monoma Neito."

"Nice to meet you, Neito!"

"Nice to meet you too, Shihai."

---

"Tag, you're it!" Tori giggles, tagging Shihai right as Neito starts running, laughing as Shihai chases them all.

"Tag!" Shihai giggles, tagging Kaito.

"Ah!" Kaito gasps, running around in circles before realising that he's it and chasing everyone else.

"Tag, you're it," Kaito says, tagging Neito.

Even after Shikha died, they had great times every now-and-then. They struggled through many things together.

Tears threaten to form at the corners of Neito's eyes as he holds Shihai's limp body bridal-style. "I'm getting help!" He exclaims, running off with the aforementioned body.

"Monoma, wait! You could get ambushed by villains and run the risk of Kuroiro getting hurt more than he might already be!" Tokage shouts to no avail as Monoma didn't hear her.

And as if on cue, villains ambush Neito from the sides.

AN//I not only forgot this existed, but it has also been sitting here gaining dust for a while, apologies for the cliffhanger B')