40

Light, jovial melodies emanated throughout the vast reception room Rey stood in. Her attention was captured every few seconds by dignitaries and officials from other worlds, paying their highest of respects to her and Ben.
Her brain felt overloaded with stimulation from the ravishing opulence of the Jedi Palace, as Ben and Rey had named it in favor of their galactic age, the Jedi Reign. It was a very highly innovated building, complete with towering glass windows that stretched from the marble flooring to its unbelievably high ceilings. Rey could hardly keep from ogling at the grandeur of everything around her. 

Droids all around carried wide, crystal serving platters, offering guests a diverse plethora of food and drinks. Gigantic ice sculptures decorated the corners of the wide room, offering guests an unlimited amount of blue punch that pooled down into an ice basin underneath the sculptures. 
A man and woman, with purple skin, which Rey failed to name their species, congratulated her once more on the successful inauguration. They were prime ministers to Kuat, Rey noted, though their Basic was broken and she struggled to make out exactly what they meant. 
Rey half-nodded, half-bowed, unsure of which was more professional. She had much etiquette to learn. "Thank you very much, Koriel and Tashna. I hope to see you again."

"Likewise, Your Excellency." Tashna replied, smiling, then bowed her head and slipped away beside her husband.
Your Excellency, Rey couldn't wrap her brain around those words. She was an empress now, but she couldn't shake the unfamiliar oddity of being addressed as one. It duped her completely, and she assumed adjusting to such a role could only take time. 
Rey searched the room, straining her neck to see over the large, congregating crowds. A few couples were dancing easily, swaying to the soft instrumentals. Dancing . . . Have I ever done that? Rey shook her head. Surely an empress must know how to dance. She continued peering around the vast room, intent on spotting Ben who had gotten separated while speaking to an old friend he knew as a child from Coruscant.

But he was there, close by the glass encapsulated patio on the other side of the room. Rey breathed a sigh of relief. Ben--
"Rey!" A voice chimed from behind her. Rey turned to face the voice, instinctively knowing who was calling for her. 
"Rose, hi--"
"Your Excellency," Rose bowed her head adoringly, lowering her voice to something of professionalism. Then her eyes lit up again and her normal voice returned, "I've been looking for you!"
"I've been looking for you all, too. Sorry, it's just--"
"No, don't worry. You're famous now, remember?" Rose took Rey's hand, grinning, "Own it."

                                                                                          ***
"Hey." Finn said as he embraced Rey. When he released her, genuine warmth swam in his eyes. He mocked an elitist-styled voice, "My, what a superb dress, darling."
Rey blushed, suddenly feeling the urge to change into something more her. Like perhaps pants and a shirt, or possibly one of those scratchy robes from Ajan Kloss. There was something so intimidating and foreign with the sudden introduction of wealth and prestige. In fact, Rey was perfectly satisfied with an itchy, over-sized robe. Though of course, a beautiful dress was just as satisfying in its own ways. 
"It is pretty great." Poe nodded his head, holding a glass of pink juice Rey assumed was alcoholic. BB-8 chimed in, and C-3P0 agreed. "Golden trimmed dresses on Coruscant are a sign of sovereignty given solely to a woman. It is quite the choice, if I say so myself."

Rey was demurred but she managed to express her gratitude. Just in time, Ben arrived at the glass patio with two drinks in hand, the light blue liquid from the ice sculptures Rey guessed. He handed one to her, showing no shame in lightly kissing the center of her cheek. Rey swore she heard Rose 'awing' at them. 
Poe held his glass up, eying everyone with uncharacteristic seriousness. "This day deserves a toast."
"Indeed, General Poe." C-3P0 added. 
Finn nodded, grabbing a hold of his own drink. "To Ben and Rey, emperor and empress of a new chapter in the galaxy. No doubt will you succeed. Just one thing--don't forget about us, we're always here."
"And remember our senator deal," Poe interjected, smiling wryly.

                                                                               ***
A melodious pair of harpists played a rhythmic tune as Ben and Rey held each other, taking slow, controlled steps on the unofficial dance floor. Dancing beside them was Commander D'Acy and her wife. Rey caught her eye, flashing a quick smile. Poe and Zorii--his former accomplice from Kijimi--danced clumsily but confidently at the far end of Ben and Rey. To Rey's surprise, Zorii had ditched her mask and typical garbs, wearing a sophisticated dress. And Poe looked happy, dazzled even. It was a pleasant sight to see. 
Rey turned to Ben, still bewildered at the novel concept of dancing. 
"You have it." Ben said, having sensed her uncertainty. "Don't worry."

Rey faltered, nearly tripping on her dress train. She shrieked involuntarily, then fell into a series of laughs, chagrined. "You spoke too soon."
Ben smiled, a few throaty chuckles escaped. Then his expression straightened, and he spoke softly, "How do you honestly feel?" 
Rey began to speak, then lost her words, stumbling over the inability to explain the surreal novelties of her new life. "Overwhelmed, honestly . . . Ben, we'll be good leaders, right?"
"Of course. The Force appointed us here in the first place, anyway. And I am pretty confident in saying that the Force has good taste."

Rey dipped her head, staring at Ben's slow and steady feet. "You're right. I trust you."
"Learn to trust yourself, too." He said in that soft coo of a tone. 
Rey nodded, coming excruciatingly close to tripping yet again on her dress. "I will, Ben. We're both going to learn so much, aren't we?"
"Nothing we can't handle."
"Absolutely." A slow smile spread across her face, matching Ben's. "We're the chosen ones."
With one last slow dance of the afternoon, she leaned in to kiss Ben, feeling every apprehensive concern fade entirely. There were no doubts or fears, or anything anymore--just the touch of Ben, the eternal companionship, and a great life, in a great galaxy, to lead.