Témoin du Mariage

"True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul.
It is the caring that she lovingly gives,
The passion that she knows."
~~ Audrey Hepburn

****
"First off, I do not like to keep secrets from Nica." Chase's steady finger met me as I stepped out of my car. "I'm only doing this because I know she loves surprises. And she happens to love you. I don't know why." She showed off how bemused she was of the thought, looking me up and down with a sneer. "But she does. If you mess this up..."

I had to interject. This wasn't the first time she had threatened me. "Could you at least retract your claws until after we talk about we came here for?"

"I'm warning you, Laurent. I will castrate you,'" Chase carefully enunciated the last two words.

"I am very much aware of the implications." If I grinned even a smidgen, I wouldn't get past her to take a tire iron and break my kneecaps. "Shall we?" I waved a hand towards the bar by the pier.

The pungent mixture of briny sea air and stale beer hung in the air as we walked inside the dodgy bar, called Davidson's. I knew why Chase had asked to meet here. She wanted the upper hand. It was a known biker's hang out. With her black leather clothes, complete with metal rivets and studs, and her even darker demeanour, she looked like she belonged. While I, in my checkered Oxfords, navy suit, and caramel brogues, was conspicuous in all manners.

I followed her to the banged up and scratched wood and steel bar. She occupied one of the empty stools in front of a hulk of a man, who had salt and pepper beard that matched the mop on top of his head.

Chase postured beside me, placing her helmet on top of the bar. "Three Floyds stout."

The giant, bearded man grunted at my grinning companion, then glanced at me. I couldn't ignore Chase's outright enjoyment of what she certainly suspected was my discomfort as I sat next to her. I pushed my hair off my forehead then extended my hand.

"Bonjour, Benoit. Comment vas-tu?" I greeted the burly man.

He returned my greeting with a more convivial one, taking my hand into a complicated handshake. "Olivier, pas mal! Quoi de neuf?"

"Pas grand-chose. Nous parlerons plus tard." I could sense the seethe coming from my left side. Chase was practically vibrating in her seat in anger. If I wanted to get out of there unscathed, I should cease addressing my friend, and owner of the establishment, in French. "Macallan, s'il vous plaît."

Benoit saluted me and knocked once on the bench before turning around and grabbing our drinks. Chase huffed as she grabbed her tall glass of foamy beer and her helmet, and walked away from the bar towards the farthest empty booth. Benoit and I swallowed chuckles at her annoyance. He would have a ton of questions for me later. How could one explain the being that was Chase? I didn't even know her last name. I had asked Veronica a while ago about it, and she had shrugged, stating only "Think Madonna and Cher" as her explanation.

When Chase had suggested "Davidson's by the Pier" yesterday, I immediately knew what she had been after-- to catch me unaware, to make me uncomfortable. She had wanted the upper hand. What I hadn't told her was that I was one of the bar's, among other similar establishments in the Bay Area, silent investors. Bikers seemed to like spending a lot on beer, and they made loyal clientele. With the margins the place made, it had proven to be a rather great investment.

"You're a jerk. Why didn't you tell me you know of this place?" she said accusingly. If Chase knew how to pout, she would have. She glared at me, a furrow on her forehead, most likely imagining ways of kicking my arse later.

I slid across from her, taking a sip of my scotch before shrugging. "You'll be surprised who I know in this city."

Chase scoffed. "We're never gonna get anywhere. Tell me what you're planning to do." Before I could answer, she continued, "Nica loves surprises. The bigger, the better. Don't cheap out on anything, because she deserves only the best. She is probably the best person in this entire state. She is my best friend, my family. If it wasn't for her, I don't honestly know where I would be. I want her to be happy." She paused as though she was entertaining a thought in her mind, or could it be that she felt she had exposed herself a bit much? This was the most open she had been to me. "Her ring size is five, and you have to get her mother's blessing, whether you believe in that or not."