the wind whispers its secrets to those who listen

When Wilbur's shriek of warning came through, to say Schlatt panicked was definitely an understatement. He knows it must be Lunch Club, Travis' old friends, Cooper's still-friends, knows they must be here for Charlie.

All of this could've been avoided if Schlatt hadn't been so cocky. He should've known long ago to be careful with his gifts. "Your powers are unstable," Ty had told him once. "The light magic you have only appear during strong emotion, so that plus all that strength is not good."

There's a raid going on and if Schlatt loses control, he could fuck up a lot of things. He could hurt a lot of people.

He never wants to hurt another person again.

There's no time to mope, he tells himself, his hands dropping to his sides; he hadn't even realised he'd been toying with his horns again. His friends need him. He needs to help them.

He grits his teeth and steels himself, then peers out of his room. His ram ears twitch – someone's walking down the hallway, footsteps unfamiliar, long wary strides trying to stay quiet. They're no Technoblade.

Wings flaring by his sides, Schlatt prepares himself. He just needs to make his way to Charlie. If he can avoid a fight, he will. The person approaching will turn the corner and come into view soon, ETA thirty seconds at that pace. One last glance around and he flaps his wings, gliding as close as he can get to the ceiling. His hooves make him loud against the marbled floors. Flight is the only safe option and it's faster, anyway. He gets away unscathed.

His friends. Who would need help the most? Charlie is a priority, but surely Ty is, as well? The healing powers are important, they could help a lot of people, and the shield is obviously helpful as well. Connor is likely with him. Connor's a good guy. Ty will be safe with him. Who else? Certainly not Techno, the guy is an absolute powerhouse, and Wilbur should be alright – super-senses would keep him safe, unless the raiders find out and exploit it. Phil? Phil is hopefully staying out of it. If he isn't, he should hopefully be with either Wilbur or Techno.

Travis and Cooper were going around together the last time he saw them. He doesn't know much about the fish guy, but judging by that determination in his eyes and the way his jaw was set, so focused and intent, his lingering promise –

In any other circumstance, Cooper would be fine; he's a smart guy after all. But here? Here, where he's faced against his old buddies and this newfound loyalty?

Schlatt changes course. He needs to find them.

Someone screams somewhere down the hallway, a high-drawn wail of anger and fear, and Schlatt swerves towards the sound. Sparks of light follow him as he moves.

He finds himself staring through a doorway; the door itself is splintered and barely hanging on its hinges – someone very powerful was here – and inside– oh. A man Schlatt's never seen before stands in the way, his hands contorting in the air, and someone chokes out a gasp.

Phil floating in the air, grasping at his neck. A pleading noise escapes him – something that forms Wilbur's name, and for the first time Schlatt sees the Brit, trapped by metal and wood which pin him to the wall.

"Let him go, he's only human!" Wilbur struggles, not tearing his eyes away from Phil. "Let him go, you sick fuck."

The man tilts his head. His voice would be soothing in a different context. Now it's downright dangerous. "I'm sorry. But it has to be done." His fist squeezes shut and it wrenches out a pained cry from Phil, who kicks out and reaches with one hand, fingers stretching towards Wilbur.

Then he's falling and Wilbur's at his side and he's gasping, choking, heaving in deep breaths as Wilbur searches him for wounds. "What–?" He begins, voice rasping, and Wilbur hushes him and points. 

Behind them, Schlatt's wrestling with the bearded man, eyes blazing white flame as he struggles to contain his power. Light flashes, flooding the room in a painful glow. One heavy blow later and the man stumbles backwards, throwing up his hands. He's puffing as he lowers his arms and clutches his chest, shaking his head with what could be awe. "You're stronger than we thought," he says with the ghost of a laugh. He closes his eyes, sliding back against the wall. "Oh, man."

Schlatt stares at him. The light surrounding his body sparks, then fizzles out. Something about the way the man holds himself – strong, determined, yet there's a wild look in his eye. "What's your name?" Schlatt asks. He surprises himself by asking.

The man seems surprised, too, but he answers easily enough. "Noah. And yours, goat-man?" 

He holds out a hand and after staring at it for a couple seconds, Noah takes it and stands up. He looks less confident now, his shoulders hunching forwards, but he keeps his head up. It's almost (very) impressive. "I'm Schlatt. Renowned businessman, as you can see." Schlatt glances over his shoulder, where Phil is beginning to sit up. "Get him to Ty and stay out of sight." 

Wilbur nods, slinging an arm around Phil to help steady him. "Stay safe," he says, and the two leave the room.

Noah watches them go. He seems to deflate. "I can't believe I did that," he mutters to himself. Then he looks up at Schlatt, a single eyebrow raised. "So. What are you going to do with me?"

"I won't hurt you, if that's what you're asking. Ty could heal your injuries but I can't risk you attacking my friends, so. . ."

"I won't," Noah says immediately, then pauses, ducking his head. "I mean, Cooper's my friend. So is Travis. If they decided to join you, there must be a good reason." He pulls on a wry smile. "Travis may not have any brain-cells, but he– he can always tell who a good person is, even if they do fucked up things. He always does." Something in his face softens, looking almost wistful as he talks.

Well, when a guy says something like that, you know they're not lying. Schlatt offers him a smile. "I'm sure Ty will explain everything. I'll guide you to him, but you better be quick. I need to find Cooper before the others do."

"Cooper? I'm going with you," Noah says, and nothing Schlatt does convinces him otherwise.