Information

On the morning of 27 February 2002, the Sabarmati Express, returning from Ayodhya to Ahmedabad, stopped at the Godhra railway station. Most of the passengers were Hindu pilgrims, returning from Ayodhya after a religious ceremony at the site of the demolished Babri Masjid. An argument erupted between the train passengers and the vendors on the railway platform. The argument became violent and under uncertain circumstances four coaches of the train caught fire. Several people were trapped in the train and were burned to death. In the resulting conflagration, about sixty people died. 

It was the death of these 60 Hindu pilgrims which is cited as having instigated the 2002 Gujarat riots, which was a three-day of inter-communal violence in the western Indian state of Gujarat. According to official figures, the riots ended with 1,044 dead, 223 missing, and 2,500 injured and is considered to be one of the worst massacres since Independence. 

This story takes place in the midst of the said Gujarat riots. Even though the incident is absolutely true, the story is entirely my own imagination. I will be using some instances mentioned in the news as well. With this story, I have no intention to hurt any fellow Wattpadder's feelings and I hope everyone reading will also understand it.

This is my entry for the Love in the Time of Tragedy contest.