Chapter 10 - Critical

Date: 20th April, 2015
Time: 15:20

Location: Halcyon Headquarters, Ontario, CA

I woke Up early today For a few mission briefs. Did a few side jobs. Went back to my bunk and recorded more journal entries. I grew tired of waiting. I didn't wanna be stuck In Halcyon anymore. But I had to wait. I had to do it for Rose.

Wren Found me Surfing the net on my laptop in my bunk. He pulled me out for a quick word.

"You got a new mission."

"Is it going to get me killed?"

"Most likely. But bright side is, It should be very lightly guarded. Just don't get caught."

"What's the brief?"

"In this file." Wren says chucking the file to me.

"Have A quick read. Then get Rose and set out."

I went back into my bunk. I opened the file and read the brief.

'To assigned Contractors, Your mission is to raid a lake house that belongs to Ryan Ross. Intel suggests the area has server boxes containing important information regarding Both Halcyon and Phoenix.

Here is the Location: Michigan, 25 Cass street'

I left the file On the table and started to prepare. I had a feeling the area was not going to be lightly guarded, as what Wren had mentioned to me. Instead, I had a feeling that someone would be coming for the same information. They could even bring an army. The stakes were too high.

I left my bag in the bed, Where most of Rose's stuff layed. Rose had been staying in my bunk for a couple of nights now. We had been planning how to escape from Halcyon. But with every option considered, Our only safe choice was to keep following Halcyon's Orders.

I went down to the shooting range, Where I knew I would find Rose. There, she was in her uniform, practising her aim, shooting at targets with the custom Raven I had given to her during the jailbreak mission.

"If you ever wanted to go back into the field, all you have to do is ask" I joked.

"You know is not smart to sneak up on someone with a gun." She chuckled.

"Don't shoot. Wren sent me to come find you." I giggled.

"Tell him I don't have to beat him at Band Hero again."

"Ha! No, he's got a new mission for us. Said it was critical. Guess we're heading out again." I informed her.

"Just as I was getting settled back in. Tell Wren I'll be there soon." Rose said, Looking dejected.

Worried, I decided to check in.

"Rose, Are you alright?"

"I'm fine. Just tired." She lied.

Though It may have been somewhat true, With all the planning we had did while staying up late at night. But I could still tell it was a lie.

"You know that's not true." I said

"Look, Just don't worry bout it Finn."

Rose then Changed the subject.

"Hey, Where did you get this gun?"

"What?" I asked.

"It's a custom right? I've never seen one Iike it."

I had a minor flashback to when my uncle had taken care of me when I was in my high school year. He had been responsible for bringing me into a life of crime. Even though he set the path for me, He treated me more like a father than my own Biological father ever did. My uncle cared for me, Looked out for me, trained me and gave me a roof to stay under.

I was seventeen. My uncle and his crew were at a private apartment on the top of a high rise building. I acted as a lookout while they robbed the poor rich bastard who stayed in that apartment. When my uncle finished the heist, One of his crew mates set off an alarm, and we had to quickly get away. We tried to Run as far as we could. But While we separated, Only my uncle and I was caught. My uncle Pleaded for my life. Told the people who chased him and me that I was just a kid. I still had my whole life ahead of me. Luckily for me, they let me go, But unfortunately for my uncle, They arrested him and brought him to local authorities. Before he went, He handed me his Prized Custom Raven. He told me that the gun would take care of me. And I kept it dearly till the day of the jailbreak.

"It was... A gift. From someone I used to know."

Rose looked sad again. Genuinely.

"Well, Now I feel bad for taking it."

She handed the gun back to me. I pondered for a while, And then pushed it back to her.

"Nah. It was passed on to me. And now I'm entrusting it to you." I told her.

I whispered in her ear.

"It'll take care of you. I promise."

She smiled. And she gave me a happy, genuine look.

"Get your head in the game Rose. We need you out there. I need you out there." I told her.

As I turned to walk back to my bunk to make the final preparations for the mission, Rose replied.

"Rachael." She said.

I turned back.

"What?"

"My name is Rachael." She said, Looking at me.

She started to cry a little bit, but she put on a smile. She walked up to me and trapped me in a tight hug. She whispered in my ear:

"Thank you Finn."

I returned the hug, Whispering back:

"Your Welcome Rachael. I'm here for you."