29

• • •

Everyone looks gorgeous at the event, Hania and Safa practically forced me to wear something more fancy than a usual dress which I could have worn for the engagement. It still hasn't hit me that it is his engagement. I won't be the one holding my hand out tonight, a genuine smile plastered on my face and my whole body filled with excitement and joy from him.

I was never meant for his world...and he was never meant for mine either.

"Tonight if he gets to see you before I manage to murder him, I swear if he doesn't call off his engagement I will make sure he's dead." Hania tries to cheer me up even though she does seem to be serious about it.

Safa rolls her eyes agreeing with Hania, she tugs on my arm as I notice she's trying to tell me that Daniel's father is making his way over to us.

I gulp, nearly choking on my own breath. My mother, father and Yusuf have seemed to disappear away into the crowd. Probably talking with the upper higher-class, since we usually do not attend such prestigious events with this society. Hania always does as she comes from a wealthy family but she has always wanted to be middle-class like I and Safa.

Everyone has their preferences and Hania doesn't like the upper-class attitude at all.

I'm disturbed from my train of thought as Daniel's kind father speaks up to us.

"Hello...Inaya, right?" He questions, he grins at us three. I smile back politely holding back the river of tears ready to make there way out of my eyes. His smile reminds me of Daniel which only makes my heart ache even more than it already does.

I nod at him, "Salaam Uncle." I politely say, "Congratulations!" I try to sound as happy as possible as Hania and Safa give an introduction to him. He already knows of Hania but not of Safa.

"You all look lovely." He kindly says to us, we thank him as I lay my hands down on my beautiful blue dress. It is a light blue which is absolutely stunning, Hania had offered to pay for it even though I had literally declined her offer a million times but when does Hania ever listen? The upper half of the dress has gorgeous embroidery down to the sleeves, with precise details everywhere. It's exactly like a princess dress, as it has a beautiful embroidered design on the lower half of the dress. I was worried that it would be too much as I told Hania and Safa to maybe find a dress which wouldn't make me look like I would be the one getting engaged tonight but they refused anything I said and ended up buying me this dress. My hair is in a bun with a few accessories and my makeup is quite simple but delicate.

I will pay back Hania for the beautiful dress she gifted me.

"There is Hannah." Daniel's father proudly mentions as he hugs his soon-to-be-daughter-in-law in front of us. I gulp out of anxiousness, she turns around to face us and she seems to be sweet.

She looks at my dress, as she gasps. "Is it bad that I prefer your dress to mine?"

I shake my head at her, "Yours is stunning." She's wearing a light silver dress which has embroidery from her shoulders down to the end of the dress. It's quite different to mine as it is more classy and elegant, similar to Daniel's world.

She has light brown hair, which is curled and looks ever so flawless. Her makeup is more heavier than mine but it suits her. She seems nice and I'm sure she would be a perfect fit for Daniel and Daniel... for her too.

"Daniel never told me that he has such pretty friends!" She continues to compliment us as Daniel's father slowly slips away into the crowd leaving us four behind.

Suddenly Atif joins us, as he sighs in... disappointment? We look over at him but Hania doesn't seem to notice as she snorts at Daniel's name to which I elbow her, she flinches but doesn't say anything. My parents come back as well as Yusuf as he and Hania exchange glances at each other, I smirk but say nothing as my parents speak to Hannah.

"There's Daniel!" Hannah proclaims, as she points behind me. I turn around to face him, my heart not wanting to face another heartbreak. How much can I take at this point?

His eyes are set on me, as his gaze travels from my head to my feet. I gulp out of anxiousness, as I try to remain calm. I feel my legs starting to shake, wanting to lose balance and my tears starting to build up once again. My heart clenches at my chest, as I see his handsome face.

He half-smiles over at us, as his gaze never leaves mine. He looks stunning, just like he always does. He's wearing a black and white suit which is tightened around his biceps, showing off his muscles as my heartbeat intensifies, dangerously. His hair is styled graciously as he stands there perfectly.

Safa keeps a steady hand on my back, making sure I don't lose my balance. I feel my mother's intense glare from the side of my eye, I panic internally. She knows who I've loved for all this time.

I still love him and I have no idea whether I will pass this point.

Yusuf takes a couple of steps forward, instantly I think he's going to launch a punch or two at Daniel. Quickly, I grab his arm and shake my head lightly at him. He snorts and moves away.

Atif rolls his eyes at Daniel, Safa stands next to him. "He's so going to regret this."

I widen my eyes at Atif's comment, "I can't believe he's giving up everything." Atif looks over at me, "I'm sorry Inaya, I tried to make him understand, to call off the engagement but he ignored me. I'm so sorry." He seems to have a sense of guilt run through him as he walks away, his head laying low.

"Hey." Suddenly, I hear his voice near me. I realise he is standing right next to Hannah, his voice sends chills down my spine let alone his presence.

Everyone greets him as my mother looks over at me with care, she mouths 'Are you okay?' and I nod at her, hoping she buys it. She understands and talks away with Daniel. Just the sight of Daniel speaking with my parents with such respect just makes me want to fall in love with him, all over again.

Safa and Hania nudge me, pulling me out of my thoughts as I nod along to what everyone is saying for a moment before I feel someone hold onto my hand.

Hannah holds my hand, leading me away from the sight of everyone. I look back at Hania and Safa giving them the look to follow me.

A minute ago everyone was speaking to each other and now? Hannah is pulling me away from everyone.

"Hannah, are you okay?" I ask out of concern, as she continues to pull me away from everyone and no one seems to question it?

Hania and Safa stop Hannah from going any further as she faces me, holding both my hands now.

"I tried." Tears start to leave her eyes making me feel surprised and shocked. "I tried to be with Daniel but I-i just couldn't." She wipes her tears looking at three of us now.

"I don't want to get married to Daniel."

- - -

- A/N -

Oop, what a massive plot twist! 😳🤭

Here's an image of what I imagined Inaya's dress to look like! 🤪
The sleeves are see-through in the picture but in the story it is more covered up!!

Here's an image of what I imagined Inaya's dress to look like! 🤪 The sleeves are see-through in the picture but in the story it is more covered up!!

Next update : Saturday 13th June 2020