TWENTY-NINE

'My mother taught me from an early age to value myself before my courtship. She instilled in me the belief that marriage was not a necessity, but a luxury, that we could be whole all on our own. In my gratitude, I passed this to my daughter in the hopes it would save her from heartache, as it saved me.'

-An extract from philosopher Adette Briggs' article on her courtship and marriage to public figure Aksel Briggs.

<><><>

TWENTY-NINE

Wall Maria, South Region, Port Noaks, Noaks Survey Corps Base of Operations

Levi sighed impatiently, tapping his foot against the ground as he waited. Where was she?

He had been waiting for Lorelai to show up for their training session outside the base. She was late, as always. He had been waiting, freezing his toes off in the cold for the better part of an hour now.

Lorelai had been working with Erwin all day yesterday. And in the night, she'd gone to Noaks for some celebration to welcome her people home. Levi had still been awake when she'd snuck back in during the early hours.

He was about to give up waiting when he heard footsteps in the snow and turned around. The steps were too light to be Lorelai's, he despaired.

Petra was coming out of the base, looking somewhat panicked. She wasn't even wearing a coat.

"Petra? What are you doing out here without a coat?"

"Oh, never mind that, Captain," she dismissed his concern. "I- uh, I came to tell you Lorelai's not going to make it to training."

"What?"

"Yeah, she said she'd come and find you later, so-"

"Why has Lorelai got you playing messenger? What's wrong with her?" Levi asked, his brow furrowing.

"Um," she mumbled awkwardly, "she uh- didn't want me to tell you."

"Tch. Fine. I'll deal with her myself."

Levi pushed past Petra and began striding towards the manor, opening the doors in a hurry. He had had about enough of Lorelai's strange behaviour.

"Captain, wait." Petra hurried after him, following Levi as he climbed the staircase at the back of the manor. He knocked firmly on the door to Lorelai and Petra's quarters. No reply. "Levi," Petra tried. "I don't think you should go in there just yet-"

He halted for just a second before opening the door.

Lorelai was lying in bed, heavy patterned quilts stacked on top of her. She was pale, and the faint sheen of sweat on her forehead told Levi she'd come down with something.

Lorelai turned her head lethargically to see him. "Larken, give me strength," she mumbled, closing her eyes.

"Sorry, Lorelai. I couldn't stop him," Petra apologised.

"What is it, brat? You're sick?"

"Sick, hungover, burnt out," Lorelai complained. "Turns out, you can't stop eating, stop sleeping, drink heavily, and put yourself under a lot of stress without any drawbacks."

"You're such an idiot."

She grinned tiredly and raised a drowsy mock salute. "I try my best, Captain."