Chapter One

Katara never expected the city to be as big as it was, that was for sure. "Thank you," She turned to the bus driver and exited the bus, swiping her ticket on the scanner. The driver, a short older woman tipped her hat, "The pleasure's all mine, miss."

The air was crisp and cool, which was unusual for Ba Sing Se but definitely foreseeable. Katara came prepared with a blue pullover hoodie that matched her bright eyes. She needed to find a place to go until the wind died down for her to walk home. She pulled out her phone, unsure of the new landmarks of the city.
'Hm,' she thought typing in locations near her.
Cabbage Man's Cart
Katara cringed, she had a run in earlier this week with the cabbage cart while riding her bike to class. After crashing into the cart, she had to stay three hours after to help with the damages. Which wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't her first day of class. It soon became the reason she took the bus to and from class everyday.
Uncle Iroh's Bubble Tea
"Sweet," she thought, "bubble tea and it's right down the block!" Katara pulled her hoodie over her nose so her cheeks weren't exposed to the air.
"Right on time too, the wind is starting to pick up."

The shop was charming, not the most updated place but definitely adorable. The aged wood paneling, a little table for outdoor seating and a wooden sign that said: "Uncle Iroh's Bubble Tea" in bright red lettering. She pulled the door and walked in, relieved for finally being sheltered from the cold. She found a seat close to the window and placed her backpack down, if she was sheltered in for an hour or so the least she could do was some schoolwork. Just then, an older man approached her typical because she was the only one in the shop.
"Hello, young miss and welcome to Uncle Iroh's Bubble Tea shop," He took a small bow, "You're a new customer so allow me to introduce myself, I'm Iroh, the owner of this shop." Katara beamed and put her hand out to him.
"My name's Katara, I'm a student at the local university." Iroh shook her hand and sat down at her table. Even though he was a stranger, this did not alarm her.
"Apologies if I'm interrupting you, I enjoy talking to customers."
"Not at all sir," Katara reassured, she couldn't help but notice a certain warmth coming from the man. "I didn't know there was a bubble tea shop here. I guess you could say I'm getting used to the city."
The old man smiled and nodded "You said you're from the university, correct?"
"Yes sir, I'm a first year studying medicine." She took off her pullover and placed it on the back of the chair.
"Please, call me Iroh. You must be very smart to be studying medicine, I have great respect for people in the medical field," He got up from the chair and walked towards the counter in the back of the shop. "Anyway, what would you like to order today?" Katara got up from her seat, grabbed her wallet and followed the man. "I'd love to try something different from what I usually order... so maybe one strawberry tea with tapioca pearls, please." The old man started on her order, taking great care into all the steps. Katara unzipped the wallet for her payment but Uncle Iroh refused and handed her drink.
"You are a new customer and citizen to the city, think of this as a welcome present."
Katara smiled, "Thank you so much, Iroh. I'll find a way to pay you back I promise."
Iroh shook his head, "There is no need young lady, just come back to my shop." After thanking him once again for the free drink she sat at her chair and opened her laptop. Finishing this essay early would be a real blessing, that way she could get some rest.
She took a sip of her tea, shocked by how amazingly flavorful it was. Usually with fruity teas they put too much sugar or too many pearls, but this was possibly the best bubble tea she ever had.
"Mr. Iroh, sir," Katara turned to the man who was cleaning a nearby table. "This is beyond amazing!" Uncle Iroh chuckled, and sat down at the table he was washing off.
"Thank you, my dear. It means a lot to hear that from a new customer." Katara had no doubt in her mind, she was to come back here again. Possibly everyday if she could. An hour passed and the wind outside died down to a light breeze. Katara closed her laptop and packed her bag. Uncle Iroh was preparing the shop for him to leave.
"Goodbye, sir. I'll be sure to come back again!" Katara pulled on her hoodie and equipped her backpack.
"Katara if I may ask, how old are you again?
"It's fine, sir," she laughed. "I'm 19." Uncle Iroh grin widened. "Ah, I see. I have a nephew who is around your age. Whom speaking of, shift is supposed to be starting soon."
Katara pondered, she hadn't really made any friends since arriving in Ba Sing Se. The people in her classes weren't as open or talkative as she was, so she never said much to them either. There was the occasional 'Can I borrow your pencil?" Which pretty much ended there.
"Oh really? Will he be working tomorrow?" Katara asked, taking the opportunity to try to meet some more people besides her brother, Sokka's friends. Who were obviously just nice to her because of he told them to be.
Uncle Iroh placed his cleaning rag in a shelf behind the counter. "Ah yes, I'll be here tomorrow with him as well. Hopefully we see you again."
"Of course, sir." Katara gave one last wave to the man before pushing the door open and going back home. She inhaled the slightly chilly air with hope. "Brand new friends," she said to herself. "I can't wait."