Part 17

NICO

Despite Will saying we can just be friends, I've still been avoiding him. Or at least not actively seeking him out. It's awkward when I run into him and I always do my best to leave quickly.
A couple more days pass, and I'm left eating at the Poseidon table with Percy. He talks about going off to university in the Roman camp sometime soon. M happy to just listen to him.
'And it's the time of the week-capture the flag!' Chiron announces. I turn surprised to Percy.
'I thought that was once a month?' I ask.
'It used to be. Kids wanted more so Chiron made it weekly instead.' He says. And I know, before Chiron speaks, what's about to happen.
'The cabins in charge are Hades and the reigning champs, Apollo.' Chiron announces. I stare at Percy, completely thrown.
'Did you know?' Percy asks. I shake my head. Will is already on his table, 'better get up there then.'
Slowly, reluctantly, I stand on the table. Everyone is looking at me. I look over to the Apollo cabin and see Will smiling.
'Did you..?' I mouth to him. He raises his shoulders, feigning innocence.
'Nico, heads or tails.' Chiron asks. And in that moment, a competitive streak rushes through me.
'Heads.' I say. He catches the coin.
'Heads it is.'
'I'll take Percy.' I say. I hear a lot of groans throughout the Apollo table.
'Athena.' Will says. I see Annabeth smile.
'This should be interesting.' She says.
We keep going until everyone's chosen. It's oddly fun picking and strategising. I've missed it.
When everyone's done, the heads of cabin that I chose head over to me, and I lay out my plan of action, giving everyone their roles.
'Dude, you're a natural.' Percy says once everyone starts heading down to suit up.
'I guess we'll see.' I say.