Chapter 6

The front gate of Shantilok, adorned with bunches of Dianthus, could intoxicate a passerby with its absolutely scintillating fragrance on any other day. But today, the 4 men who stood beneath it, waiting for the doors to be opened, were hardly in a mood to appreciate the spring bloom.

"Let's not tell them anything today. We should probably warn them about that creep but not today." Vijay pleaded in a subdued voice while trying to read the expression on Prabhas's face. The black metal gate lights had an iridescent warm sheen and all Vijay could understand in its light was that the indomitable rage on Prabhas's face has now been replaced by a cold emotional demeanor. "This is better. This should work". Vijay thought inwardly.

"Don't worry about him. He is a class actor - a master in fakery!" Jatin murmured under his breath to placate a visibly worried Vijay.

"Hmm. I hope so. Just want this night to end on a good note." Vijay sent a prayer out to the universe.

Hearing the faint tinkling of an anklet coming from the other side of the gate, Narayan displayed his usual alertness -"Ok. Someone is here. Guys, straighten up."

Before he could complete his sentence, a lady opened the door. She was dressed in a traditional navy blue Anarkali paired with heavy golden Chandbalis and had an enticing smile curved on her lips. "Hey, Welcome! We have been waiting for you. I am Preet, Ams's friend. Please...Please come in."

Saying this she showed them the way to the door on the ground floor which opened to a hall almost as big as Pratiksha but decorated in a very different way. The Space looked like an image taken out of an old palace - everything was so rusty yet elegant. There was a huge semicircular sofa made out of mahogany with intricate floral designs carved on it and with its armrests partially covered in iron casts. The cover was dazzling in plush red velvet fabric and mini bolsters wrapped in gold-embroidered satin were placed all across the length. While Jatin dumped himself immediately into the comfort of the royal ensemble, Prabhas kept on scrutinizing the wall behind the sofa which was embellished with different types of wooden and metal masks.

"Well, let me first introduce all of us. I am Vijay. I am into diamond business. And he is Jatin, his father owns the best pub in Mumbai but all his son does is donating the beer money to animal shelters." Saying this, Vijay winked at Jatin.

"Wow! I wish we had friends with fathers like that, too" Preet giggled softly.

"You have no idea what you are wishing for!" Jatin said in a sarcastic tone but it was easy for a professional psychologist like Preet to understand the underlying sense of dejection.

"And that one who is drawing a map of the room in his head and marking all the exit points is Narayan. He is a police officer, not a thief." Vijay burst out in a guffaw while Narayan squinted his eyes and gave Preet an apologetic look.

"Hi Sir, I have too much respect for people who serve in the forces. My grandfather himself was a freedom fighter." Preet said proudly .

"Oh no Sirs, please. Just Narayan is fine. And thank you for the respect - it really means a lot. I will however like to know more about your grandfather though sometime. We had such brave people those times." Narayan sounded thoroughly impressed.

"And he...I guess you already know....who he is." Vijay said pointing to Prabhas who has now moved on from the masks on the wall to a ceiling-high bookcase and was busy surfing through an old journal.

"Yes, I do," Saying this, Preet walked towards Prabhas and stretched her hand towards him "I am a BIG fan. I hope I don't embarrass you tonight with any silly requests."

Taking her hand into his, Prabhas said "I will not mind if you make one though. After all, achein khaane ke liye hum kuch bhi kar sakte hain". A small smile appeared at the corner of his lips. Narayan and Vijay looked at each other and sighed in relief. "Lagta hai bala taal gayee" Vijay thanked his Kuldevta silently.