2. The Question

Ash wasn't there long. He stood when he heard the buzz for the door and the clunk as it opened. Two Team Rocket grunts stepped through first, taking position on either side of the door. Ash wasn't sure why, it wasn't like he would have been able to escape the cell bars in such a short amount of time. Although he might want to start trying to.

Giovanni was the next to enter, peering disdainfully around the dirty room. He was followed closely by Persian, red ruby glinting in the prison's lights. They stalked to the front of Ash's cell together.

Giovanni gave him a smooth smile, "I'm glad to see you seem to be comfortable here".

Ash glared, arms crossing, "right, I'm sure that was at the top of your list of worries. Right behind taking over the world and threatening young children into giving you their pokemon".

"You're awfully snarky for someone with no power or pokemon in this situation", Giovanni replied, head tipping slightly to the side as he evaluated Ash. He almost wanted to step back as Giovanni's eyes drifted over him, emotionless.

Creep

Giovanni hummed as Persian circled his legs, "well, no matter, you can be useful. What do you know of the masterball's whereabouts".

Ash frowned, shifting on his feet, "why". He paused for an answer he didn't expect to get, Giovanni's smile never wavered as he waited. Ash tapped his foot before giving up and pacing again, "you know I'm not going to tell you anything about that, you're not dumb".

Ash hated the light chuckle that Giovanni let out, "no you're right, I'm not. Which is why I'll remind you that I have your rat and I could find your home easily" he reached down to pet Persian, "in time I think you will be happy to tell me what I want to hear".

Ash stopped pacing right in front of the Rocket boss, scowling "Fuck You. Threats aren't going to get you anywhere".

Giovanni shook his head slightly, sighing, "it seems you're not ready yet. It was too much to hope you would give out immediately I suppose, you just seemed the type" he smiled again at Ash's indignant huff, "I'll let you think it over a while, please if you require anything just shout, you'll get attention... eventually".

With that Giovanni turned and left, Persian trailing behind, grunts taking the rear as the door clunked shut again.

Ash growled in frustration and stalked over to the mattress, giving it a stiff kick that sent it across the cell. This was ridiculous and insulting. Giovanni had to know it was hopeless to try and get him to say where the masterball was. Hell it was even a long shot to assume Ash knew where it was. Did he?

Last I knew professor Oak had one. I know that a lot of league champions in different regions had one at one point, most of those have been used by now though. Oak gave out one or two of those, he might not even have one still. Wait doesn't Silph make pokeballs? Why wouldn't they just whip up a masterball? Are they that hard to make? God I hope Pikachu is ok, hang in there buddy.

Ash found himself sitting on the bed again, now pushed against the cold concrete wall in the back corner. He pulled his legs up to his chest, resting his chin there.

I can't tell them, no doubt about that. Who knows what Giovanni wants to catch, and with how many myths I've run into I don't want to give him that kind of power. He would destroy Kanto in a heartbeat. I can't let that happen, what would mom say. Probably that she loves me. I wish I was in Pallet town right now, I'm so hungry.

That thought was accompanied by the rumble of his stomach. He hadn't noticed it before, between the adrenaline and stress, but he was starving. It had been hours since he was locked in the cell and he hadn't eaten since that morning. But Ash wasn't going to let that get to him, he wasn't going to let these people make him beg for anything.