Chapter 13 - Regroup

She avoided the sea for the next several days. Her thoughts wandered to him occasionally, in the middle of work, in the middle of talking to Jess, in the middle of doing nothing. She knew she couldn't stay away forever. Orm or not, the ocean was still her escape. And in a way she felt guilty—perhaps he had shown up one of the past few nights to apologize, to be greeted by nothing but an empty sea?

Truthfully, she had no confidence in her ability to predict whether or not he would do something like that. In retrospect, the whole event seemed melodramatic. Orm seemed like the kind of person who could not handle being seen after participating a melodrama. He took himself too seriously; the humiliation might be crippling. She could empathize with that; she wondered if she was only projecting herself onto him.

She had attempted to explain this to Jess, without giving away who he really was. She said she had gone a few towns over after getting the news about her mother, she had wound up at a bar crying, and an acquaintance had found her. She could tell that Jess found this hard to believe, given that (Y/N) stayed close to home most of the time, but Jess humored her nonetheless. Jess thought she should just call the guy and ask him, straightforwardly, if there was anything to salvage about their tentative friendship. This would have been a great idea if Orm had a cellphone.

She had no option but to drift out there every night until he showed up or she gave up.

Orm had spent his days sticking closely to routine, sans the nighttime escapades. He hadn't been to the coast either, and he wondered if she was there waiting for some sort of explanation, or maybe waiting to chew him out for walking out on the argument. He was reluctant to acknowledge that he could have waited a moment longer. Strangely, his show of emotion had not bothered him. It had felt oddly freeing, and he didn't want to apologize for it. However, there was still something bothering him about the exchange, and he felt it wasn't over. After all, she had tried to talk him out of leaving. Clearly there was still an attachment on her end—unless it was an empty ploy.

It was no good to leave things unfinished, so he finally gave in. As he approached the shore, he could see the faint and slanted shadow cast by her boat in the moonlight, as usual.

When he surfaced, she noticed right away. There was an icy pause, then she finally spoke.

"It's your brother, isn't it?" It was not what she had wanted to lead with at all, but it was the other thing she had been thinking about. "The thing you're looking for up here?" There was another long pause. She could see his grip on the reins tighten.

"I hate him." Orm replied, at last.

"Why are you looking for him?"

"I want him to know. I want him to understand that he's the reason my mother was executed." he spoke slowly, thoughtfully, with barely a hint of the emotion he had displayed last time.

"Is that all?"

"I suppose."

"Can we still be...friends?" He was silent again. "I know I asked a personal question. Maybe it was too personal. But you answered it, didn't you? Is it my fault you're upset?"

"You're a surface-dweller. So, to some extent, yes."

"I've never heard of your brother or his father. I wouldn't even know them if I passed them on the street. I was not involved in your family's past, in any capacity. Don't make me your scapegoat."

"I shouldn't even be talking to you."

"Then why did you come? Just tell me whether we can salvage whatever was going on before that fell apart. I liked talking to you. I appreciated your help, your presence," she paused, wishing he would look her in the eye. He had averted her gaze since arrival. "It was nice talking to you, even if you were a little rude at first. If you shouldn't be talking to me, then I don't understand why you bothered to come back."

"I felt like we had unfinished business, which seems obvious given the nature of your questions." He responded coolly. "I don't want to hate you." He admitted.

"I don't hate you." she replied.

"Thanks." He bit his lip, thinking some more, studying the thin strip of waves between his sea dragon and her boat. "I apologize for leaving abruptly. I should have been willing to discuss it further."

"Apology accepted. Just don't do it again," she warned, "or I'll find a new place to take my boat."

"I found it once, I can find it again." he said, finally meeting her eyes. "I...thank you for listening to me that night. I know I didn't make it easy. But it was good to...emote."

"I imagine you haven't had much of an outlet to process all that, given the way you responded. Dealing with it alone...it seems like that would be just as hard as losing her in the first place."

"You think so?" There was no sarcasm in his voice. The question was genuine.

"Yes, I do." she replied. "If we really are friends again, you can talk to me about it. I'm not sure I can be much help, but I'm good at listening."

"I appreciate the offer." he said, a faint smile lingering on his face for just a moment. He was still suspicious that the only person who had ever offered to listen to him in this way was a surfacer, but at the same time...someone had finally offered to listen to him. She extended a hand towards him.

"Do you have handshakes in Atlantis?" she asked, hand still outstretched over the open water. His blank expression and lack of motion was a sufficient answer. "It's a sign of trust and agreement. Just take my hand, I'll shake for both of us."

He extended his own hand to take hers, and she held it firmly, giving her arm a few short bounces, then letting go.

"That was strange," he said. "although not unpleasant."

"Good." she replied. She straightened herself in the boat. She was feeling the length of the day in her back and shoulders. She was tired. Orm, seeming to perceive this, spoke again.

"It's late," he began. "I would like to keep talking, but I have a long day tomorrow."

"Same here," she said. Then, with a sigh, "I might not be here tomorrow night. I have to prepare for the visitors..."

"I understand. Take care of yourself." He replied. His voice was relaxed now. She smiled and nodded.

"Same to you," she said. "Goodnight, Orm."

"Goodnight, (Y/N)"