Chapter 31

After all that, Henry and I exit the house once again to see the kids stand by the car.

'ow while we're out here doing the dirty work, you two find the time to get down and dirty?' Richie calls out as he sees us, 'Hate to break it to you, now isn't the time.'

'beep beep, richie', Everyone mused matter-of-factly.

'It's almost over', Henry breathes, 'Why don't you guys go home, t-t-thanks for the h-help, it me-means a lot.'

'how delightful it is to hear henry bowers stutter', Richie jokes.

'Richie', I hiss.

'Sorry', Richie rubbed the back of his neck, 'couldn't help myself.'

The kids get back onto their bikes to leave as Kathy and Henry get into the car. Almost no one is on the road while they drive to the cliff by the barrens. There I help Henry put Butch Bowers limp body in the front seat.

I reach my hand out to Henry, 'Now, your knife', he handed it to me so I can then place it in Mr Bowers hand. After this, I undo the brake when after that Henry and I walk to the back of the car and begin to push. As it rolls forward it goes over the edge, we watch it fall.

'Henry?' I ask, still looking at the sinking car.

'yeah?'

'an officer asked if you know where your dad hangs around these days, you know anything.'

'no not really', Henry tells me, 'we had an argument and after a few more beers he left, he does that more often.'

'argument about what?'

'you and me'

With that Henry and I finally look up at each other, he takes my hand and kisses me. As we walk home, I feel completely numb but am vaguely aware of the fact that my boyfriend is shaking from head to toe.