Chapter Five

Prince Levon managed to take them to what must have been the shoddiest tavern in town, but Evadine suspected that was intentional. This place wouldn't ask questions, and maybe they'd accept her jewelry as payment. It'd probably more than cover the costs.

Evadine could list multiple possible uses for the money even as they stepped inside. The door, for instance, was a glorified piece of wood having an intimate relationship with rot. Inside, she was hit in the neck by a drop of water from one of the leaks in the ceiling. Some pots were placed here and there in an attempt to manage it. They didn't have to worry about the candles getting wet; there were so few of them that Evadine nearly bumped into a table.

Some of the sparse customers cast them a glance, but then seemed to decide that they themselves were far stranger. Even as Evadine's dress drew a trail of water on the floor, she had to agree.

Prince Levon made his way to the bar, pulling her along. A young man was washing glasses, looking as if he was about to fall asleep. Until he caught sight of the prince.

Prince Levon leaned over the bar, hip jutted out, a smirk on his face. "Hello there. I'm afraid my friend and I have run into some trouble, and we need shelter."

"Pri... Lev... You," Evadine stammered, aware that their names weren't safe to use as she tried to nudge the prince aside. She wasn't about to let a guy she barely knew handle her safety. But he gave her a tug before she could speak again.

"We hide anyone who can pay," the bartender said. Evadine wondered if that was true, or if the blush on his face had anything to do with it.

She took her earrings out and slid them over the counter. "Will this do?"

The guy picked them up and examined them. He nodded — at Levon, not her — and put them in his pocket.

"Thank you so much," Prince Levon said, placing his hand on the man's lower arm. The latter swallowed.

Alright, Evadine had to admit he was good-looking. If she hadn't had anything better to do, she might have paid more attention to how many heads he turned at court. And had he been more than a childish nuisance, he might have been one of the few who stood a chance at courting her. It would have been great for the relationship between Savalon and Phedel - Evadine's kingdom and Levon's, respectively. But she knew that it'd take about a week before she'd arrange for an 'accident' to happen to him, which would have been less great, politically speaking. 

"What can I get you?" the bartender asked. "Those earrings should cover a few drinks."

Prince Levon perked up. "Two ale, to begin with."

"Watered down," Evadine added.

"Absolutely not."

"We cannot afford to let our guards down now," she hissed.

"Don't you trust me?"

"No, in fact, I don't."

Prince Levon feigned shock and the bartender actually chuckled. He served them their drinks and Levon took far too incautious gulps. A bard started singing and Evadine wondered how much longer she'd have to stay here.

Prince Levon turned back to the bartender. "Say, would you happen to know of any mages nearby? As you can see, we have a little" — he raised their joint arms — "problem."

"Did you piss off someone's mother?" the bartender teased. Did he even notice Evadine was there?

"Maybe. I'll spare you the details, but it got real ugly real quick." He cleared his throat, the only hint that maybe he wasn't handling the whole situation as well as he made it appear.

"There's the old witch," the bartender said. "Maybe she can help. In the meantime, you two should get changed. It'll be tough laying low if you're coughing up a lung."

"We don't have any other clothes," Evadine said.

"I'll find you something. Something that can work around that problem of yours."

"We'll also need a horse."

"Do you have any more of those fancy jewels? As much as I'd love to," — he cast a glance at Prince Levon — "I can't pay for it all out of pocket."

Evadine sighed and unhooked her golden necklace. She added two rings as well. These ornaments had more value now than they ever had before. "Can you pay with this?"

"I have some ways to exchange it." He stuffed the jewelry in his pockets in a way that would have made her chambermaid scream.

The bard came closer, his voice annoyingly loud. "...though every young lad knows: Who takes the bride of Savalon, is bound to take the throne!"

Evadine didn't understand why her stomach dropped and why the chains were the only thing keeping her fist from landing on the bard's face. It's not like she was unfamiliar with the jokes and sneers that people made about her every day, or the rumors that kept spreading like a persistent flu. But now, there was a tension in her body, blossoming from where her heart ached for her parents, from her home. A part of her that wasn't ready to accept reality, but was still able to be hurt by it.

Maybe that was why the thought of her people feasting on her misery was just a bit too much, and just enough to cause a firm tug on the chains.

"Easy there," Prince Levon said softly. "Don't let it get to you."

"Easier said than done."

"I know. It takes practice. Being blessed with the ability to love both sides equally, I hear new stories about myself every day."

Evadine eyed him. There was a hint of sadness in his voice, but he didn't seem bothered. 

"Maybe it's time we find a room to retreat to," she said. "The longer we're out here, the bigger the chance we get recognized."

The prince downed his ale and waited for her to do the same.

"You can have it," she said, pushing her cup to him. He drank that one too in no time, as if he desperately needed it. Evadine hoped he wouldn't snore.

"Would you mind showing us to our room?" the prince Levon asked with the same sweet voice, although now with a hint of exhaustion.

"Sure, follow me." The bartender headed to a staircase in the back. They followed him up the creaking steps. Evadine made sure not to touch anything. A strange smell hung in the air.

The stairs led to a dark hallway with doors. From some of them came noises which Evadine wasn't too innocent to recognize. Perhaps this was a good hiding place. No one would expect a princess to be able to stay here.

The bartender opened a door at the end of the hallway.

"No," was all Evadine could say when her eye fell on the single bed.