Chapter 9

Chapter 9: Last Dance With You
(Third Person Point of View)

Guilt had been eating away at Hinata ever since he left Atsumu all alone under that cherry blossom tree. Furthermore, he had the audacity to invite Atsumu to his wedding, of all events.

"I am such a terrible person."

He needed to talk to Atsumu. He needed the closure. He needed to set things right. Atsumu was a wonderful person and Hinata wanted to be true to his word that he really still wanted to be friends with Atsumu after everything has been said and done.

Hinata smiles as he felt the tears escape his eyes.

"Atsumu-san deserved so much more. He deserved the world. He cannot settle for a terrible liar that I am."

Yamaguchi suddenly came out of the end of the hall and joined Hinata's company. He ruffles Hinata's hair. "Talk to him, Hinata. He needs to let you go, and you need to let him go, too. You both cannot settle for this anymore. You should be happy, and he needs to be happy as well."

"Y-yamaguchi..."

"Go to him. Do not worry. You can leave the excuses for King Kageyama to me. Go now, while you still have time."

Hinata wipes his tears. "Yes, I will! Thank you!"

Yamaguchi bows. "Hinata? I am so sorry. I know it came from me that you should give your friend a chance because King Kageyama needed to follow the system... I really am sorry for that. It never occurred to me that the King would dare defy the stereotypical fairytale."

Hinata smiles. "No, it is not your fault. It is only a mere suggestion that came from you, and everything else that followed after that had been entirely my fault. I am so sorry for dragging you into this mess, Yamaguchi. Thank you for being an honest friend.".

Hinata ran. Hinata did not stop running. He thought that maybe, if he hurried, he can still save of what is left of the crumbling foundation he and Atsumu had built over the past months.

And he found him in the exact same spot that he had left him, under the cherry blossom trees that were blossoming no more.

He was out of breath. "Atsumu-san?"

Atsumu laughs quietly, refusing to look at him.

"Oh hey Shouyou. Fancy meeting you here."

Atsumu walks to him, and extends his hand, as if inviting Hinata to a dance, albeit he still refused to look at Hinata in the eyes.

"Atsumu-san, I am so---"

"Shouyou, may I have this last dance with you?"

Hinata was not able to say anything. He just let Atsumu drag him away and take the lead.

"Say, Shouyou. May I ask you a question?"

"Y-yes?"

"Will you still choose me if the world ends?"

Hinata went completely silent.

Atsumu smiles. "It was like two kingdoms fighting over a certain territory, huh? I was the one to accept fate and destiny even just being second in place, but just this once, I wished to win. I wished to own that territory. I gave my best, but I guess it was not good enough, and no ruins and damages can ever measure the pain with just the number of casualties it made."

Atsumu spins Hinata as the remaining petals of the cherry blossom trees continued to fall.

"Do you see the thin difference between "happy ending" and "forever"?"