Will and His Dog and the Halloween Adventure

Copyright 2020 Paul Cook

Cover Image by Paul Cook

Thanks for downloading this ebook. You are welcome to share it with your friends. This book may be reproduced, copied and distributed for non-commercial purposes, provided the book remains in its original form. Thank you for your support.

Will and His Dog and the Halloween Adventure

It was late in the afternoon on Halloween. The street lights were on and it was going dark.

Will and his best friend Charlie had been allowed out to go trick-or-treating until five o'clock. They were only allowed to visit houses that they knew the occupants of and they were not allowed to venture more than two streets away from Will's house.

Charlie was dressed as a zombie and Will was wearing a ghost outfit with a mask which made him look very scary. Every house that the boys had visited that day so far had been empty because the occupants hadn't returned from work yet.

"I think we should visit Mrs Green's cottage," said Will. "I know her and she is a friendly, nice old lady who will give us some sweets."

"Ok," said Charlie, "is it far?"

"No," replied Will, "it is just on the other side of the park."

The boys didn't really want to walk through the park in the dark because sometimes older boys and girls went there. They approached the gate that led into the park and had a look around. There were some kids on the swings just chatting but they were far away on the other side of the park. The path that Will and Charlie would need to take did not go near them.

Will and Charlie entered the park and began to walk quickly along the path. The kids on the swings hadn't appeared to notice them until they were halfway through the park. Two of older boys suddenly got up from the swings and started walking towards Will and Charlie.

"What do we do now?" said Will in a worried voice.

The older boys started shouting "Wooh! A zombie and a ghost! Wow, we are so scared."

They started pretending to cry with fear. The other kids on the swings started to laugh loudly and made silly noises to pretend that they too were scared of Will and Charlie.

Will knew one of the boys was called Peter Proctor. Peter was a nasty boy and he was known for picking on younger kids whenever he saw them in the village. Will's mum didn't like him or his mother.

Peter Proctor and his friend started running towards Will and Charlie.

"Run!" shouted Charlie.

Both boys knew that the older kids would be able to run faster than they could. Hopefully they had enough of a head start to get out of the park and onto the street where there were adults around.

Will and Charlie crashed through the gate that led them from the park and onto the street. The older boys gave up their chase and went back to the swings.

Will, who was panting said, "that was close. Right, there is Mrs Green's cottage over there."

Will and Charlie walked over to the cottage, which looked old and opened the creaky garden gate. They walked up the garden path and knocked on the old wooden door. A few moments later the door creaked open and an old lady, who Will knew to be Mrs Green, stood before them.

"Trick-or-treat!" both boys shouted together.

Mrs Green shouted, "get away from here you horrible lot or I'll set my dogs on you."