Will and His Dog and the Bully

Copyright 2020 Paul Cook

Cover Image by Paul Cook

Thanks for downloading this ebook. You are welcome to share it with your friends. This book may be reproduced, copied and distributed for non-commercial purposes, provided the book remains in its original form. Thank you for your support.

Will and his Dog and the Bully

Will's nan always placed her dark blue teapot right in the middle of the kitchen table. His nan had always put the teapot in the same place and reminded Will not to touch every time it because it would be very hot. At eight years old Will knew not to touch the teapot but his nan reminded him all the same.

Will liked to watch the steam rise from the teapot's spout and he enjoyed smelling the tea's sweet, delicate fragrance. It wasn't that he liked drinking tea – he didn't, but the smell reminded him of his nan.

Will's parents sometimes worked away from home during the week and, when they did, he stayed with his nan. Clive, Will's dog, also enjoyed staying with Will's nan because she always fed him biscuits as a treat.

One cold day in November Will had not enjoyed his day at school. Some of the older boys liked to make fun of Will because he was short and wore glasses. That particular morning, they had kicked water that had collected into puddles up Will's trouser legs as he had walked through the yard on the way to his classroom. The water made Will's trousers cold and wet and so he started to cry. The older boys loved to see Will cry and so they started making fun of him even more. It took such a long time for the trousers to dry and poor Will sat through his first two lessons very cold and upset.

Will's teacher, Miss Fletcher, asked him why he was upset but he didn't dare tell her the reason because he was worried that the older boys would find out and then they would be even more horrible to him afterwards.

As the children were leaving for morning break, Miss Fletcher called Will back to speak to him. Will told Miss Fletcher what had happened to him earlier and she said that she knew who the boys were and that they were bullying other boys too. Miss Fletcher said that she would deal with them and that they wouldn't be bothering him again any time soon.

Will was grateful to Miss Fletcher for helping him but very worried that the boys would come after him because they would assume that he had told her who they were – even though he hadn't.

When Will got home that afternoon he told his nan about his day and the horrible boys. She told Will not to worry because Miss Fletcher was a good teacher and that she was very kind for helping him. Will's nan gave him a banana and a cup of milk which he enjoyed beside the fire before he went to bed. Will soon fell asleep and forgot about his horrid day.

The next morning, Will was just about to leave for school when he suddenly remembered that the children had been asked to take something red to class to draw in their art lesson that very morning. Will couldn't think of anything red to take into school and so he asked his nan. She went into the kitchen and returned with a large, ripe, bright red Tomato. Will's nan always said that a Tomato was a lovely thing, especially when eaten with some lettuce, onion and pickle. Will put the Tomato in his lunchbox with the cheese sandwiches that his nan had made for him and the apple that he would eat at lunchtime.

On his way to school that morning, Will saw the boys who had made him cry the previous day. The boys glared at Will but didn't say or do anything to him. Will was very relieved and so grateful to Miss Fletcher who had obviously spoken to them. Miss Fletcher was very kind and Will wondered what he could give her as a present to thank her for helping him.